Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rods for Cutties and jacks?  (Read 3477 times)

Camman

Rods for Cutties and jacks?
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

I have been wanting to purchase a nice small road for trout and salmon jacks before the summer. I have an 8wt but it is to big, what about a 3wt or 5wt? Any suggestions? thanks.

spey

Re: Rods for Cutties and jacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

4wt-6wt, depending on the type of water you plan to fish.A 6wt is a safe bet incase u hook into something bigger or are fighting a stiff wind.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »

i use a 4wt for trout...ALL trout

i use my 5wt for trout also however i also use it for pinks....everywhere  ;D

I use my 8wt for all other salmon species because i dont wanna stress them out to much and to think your only going to catch "jacks" when the big boys are in there also is just not good thinking because if you catch say jack springs you will most likely hit at least one biggy, happens all the time  ;) better safe then sorry because you wouldnt wanna bust your rod now would you, you also wouldnt want the fish to die due to being in a very lengthy battle and catch be revived  :(

just some food for thought
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Camman

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »

Thanks guys muchly appreciated. :)

beak killer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

5wt good just make sure your line to rod matches up because u cant just expect to catch just "jacks" and if u hook a big boy your in trouble and im sure ur gonna buy nice gear and when that breaks thats just no fun but yah good luck....

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »

you have an 8wt, don't go to a 6, its a waste and overkill on cutthroat.  Ive landed large fish on my 4 no problem, just takes a little longer.  For the frequency that it happens, I wouldnt worry about it and stick with something meant for the job, get a 4.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »

Like HOOK said, 4 weights are excellente rods for trout as they make fighting them alot of fun, however they do not always match up well with the element (ie wind) and can make tossing streamers a real effort. 5 wt gets my vote...most versatile trout rod  hands down!

Michael

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »

the best thing you can learn to do if you wanna fish lighter rods is the Double Haul for single handed casting. I can punch my 4wt into a head wind quite far using this  ;D Trust me a 4wt is alot more fun then a 5wt, since i bought the 4wt my 5wt has taken a backseat and only comes out when im in the pontoon and can fish 2 rods.

As far as trying to target small salmon i wouldnt bother even trying to with a light rod because there is big boys around at the same time. NOW there is an exception to that though because i target pinks with my 5wt however the likelyness of hitting a sockeye fishing for pinks doesnt happen very often  ;) I did hook a 12ish lb spring in the Squamish though, almost landed it until it touched the rocks and went back to the ocean LOL no way in hell i could do anything with the lighter rod with a fish that size.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fish321

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »

I say go for the five. Very versatile can chuck bigger flies comfortably and fish in a stiff breeze. Also works just fine for humpies .