Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Staying Alive.... Somehow  (Read 3130 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Staying Alive.... Somehow
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »

I don't get it....
Ottawa was close to the worst team all year but they are somehow hanging o, trying to get the final playoff spot.
Statistically it is possible, 7 points out with 10 games left on the schedule.

I, personally, think all they are doing is throwing away a 1st round pick.
I am trying to stay up-beat saying they still have a chance, but it will be highly unlikely.

What do you guys think.
PS... they beat the Rangers and hopped over the mighty Leafs in the standings tonight ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Staying Alive.... Somehow
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »

The Sens are done for all intent and purpose as are the Leafs. The Habs are barely hanging on. Wouldn't it be something if all Eastern Canadian teams are eliminated from the playoffs ?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »

Here's the problem...this happens every year.  Teams that are well out of the running are playing loosey goosey hockey with no pressure.  They are picking up their wins against teams that are desperately trying to get in and are playing under huge amounts of pressure like the Habs.  Toronto is a team that wins all kinds of games at the end of the season every year which is exactly what Otttawa is also doing this year.  Unfortunately it takes them out of a good draft position.

Now here is where the major screw up occurs.  You get GM's and coaches now thinking that " boy, these guys can really play well and we should extend their contracts or resign them"....the problem is the majority of these guys who play well when nothing is up for grabs don't neccesarily play well when the games count...they crumble under pressure.  That's when you really need experienced GM's who can see through this and make the right choices come July 1st.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:12:35 PM by mastercaster »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »

Well if you think Alfie, Spezza, Heatley crmble under pressure I would say you are wrong.....
Murray has done a great job as GM and loved him as a coach.

Dunno what happened this year but Im pretty sure next year Ottawa will be back on track  ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »

Well if you think Alfie, Spezza, Heatley crmble under pressure I would say you are wrong.....
Murray has done a great job as GM and loved him as a coach.

Dunno what happened this year but Im pretty sure next year Ottawa will be back on track  ;D

I think those guys are awesome!  Not talking about the proven performers here...these guys have no problems what's so ever getting resigned...it's the bottom half of the top six, and the 3rd and 4th liners....you can't win with only one line doing its job

skibumAB

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

Talking about staying alive, the HABS are in 8th place with one skate on a banana peel.  Before the all-star game they were around 2nd or 3rd in the East.
At least Calgary will be in the playoff, we just need to hold off the canuckleheads for 3rd place.