Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEW FISHING LICENSE  (Read 25695 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: NEW FISHING LICENSE
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »

Please don't be confused tidal fishing licenses (managed federally) with freshwater fishing licenses.

The money generated from your freshwater fishing licenses is allocated as follows:

• 21% to Ministry of Environment (~$2.7M)
  • 25% to habitat conservation trust (~$3.3M)
  • 54% to Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC (~$7.0M)

The purpose of the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is to conserve and enhance the freshwater fish resources of BC for the benefit of the public through various initiatives. Beside stocking 7.1 million fish in 818 lakes and streams across this province each year, the society is involved in conservation programs such as the recovery of white sturgeon and steelhead. "Your license dollars at work" is not simply a a marketing slogan, but it reflects by the effort and dedication of society staff, who are also mostly anglers.

Thanks for the numbers Rod from what I was already stating.

Putting lots of money into stocking steelhead, and salmon is risky. Their are just so many factors working against them such as ocean survival. With the stocking of trout in lakes their is little risk involved and provides a great fishery for people of all ages. Not only that but they dont have to compete with commercial fishermen, fish farms etc etc. Why put 10 million into the stocking of salmon if only a fraction of those fish make it back?

So you think paying for the rivers you fish is a better idea? Go look how expensive it is in Europe for a similar system. I think I am happy just paying my license which is under $100 as I am not buying a steelhead tag anymore as I am not fishing for them. For under $100 I get more enjoyment than I could ever get from any other hobby. I love my lake fishing. I also love my river fishing but know that the salmon fishing is never going to get better. Once the salmon fishing gets as bad as the steelhead fishing I will no longer fish for salmon either. Their are just so many things wrong with the salmon that the money from the tags is not going to do anything to help repair whats been done.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishyfish711

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »

So help me out here. Is Walmart selling the old style (smaller in colour) fishing licences? Is it clearing out old stock. I went away this weekend under the impression all the licences were now 8x10 but when I got together with the others (6) they had the old traditional licences. I checked the date several times and it was 2009-2010. Please clarify why.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

I heard on the radio just now, you do not need to obtain a fishing license, until april 17? Due to complications with the online licencing. All rules still apply.
The Bigger The Better!

Nymph

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 12:41:16 PM »

I got mine online the other day at 6am. I guess there isn't much demand for licences in the early hours.
Git-R-Done

Morty

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »

So help me out here. Is Walmart selling the old style (smaller in colour) fishing licences? Is it clearing out old stock. I went away this weekend under the impression all the licences were now 8x10 but when I got together with the others (6) they had the old traditional licences. I checked the date several times and it was 2009-2010. Please clarify why.

Don't know for sure, but would expect that WalMart, and some others, are selling traditional format smaller licenses because they don't have computers available for clerks to use.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

odesseus

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:23 AM »

I heard at HUB that the next step is a card to be issued with your number

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »

As I said in another thread, I got my paper licence (same as last year) from the guide I bought last year's licence off.  He said he'd checked and that they would still be valid.  Will have to wait and see.