Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEW FISHING LICENSE  (Read 25759 times)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
New fishing licence hard to get?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »

I tried to purchase new license in a local tackle store yesterday and was told that they are not available temporary. Only spotty sales on line with site being down few times a day. Also difficult t o get traditional paper type as well.  The weekend is coming so they better be ready. :(

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: New fishing licence hard to get?
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »

You can't get the traditional paper type anymore. All the details have been discussed here

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »

Tadski,

If you have a printer at home and don't mind using your CC online, just do it yourself.
Or ask Jackson or Tony to navigate you through the process.
It's quite easy, really.

Here's the link:

https://j100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ras/signin.aspx

You might need to arm yourself with patience, as there is lots of traffic to this site these days.

I got mine a couple days ago through West Coast tackle - no  problems.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »

system is still down this morning at the tackle shop.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

scute

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 04:57:57 PM »

tried 3 different places today and no one could get a licence ???also heard of a guide being unable to licence clients as well >:( more fisheries related frustration >:( :'(

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

I just bought both mine online about five mins ago
No problems with the site ;D
Guess i am going fishing in the morning 8)

ion

e-licence
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »

Why does the dfo need to keep our private information?
I can make copies of my e-licence in minutes with my scanner, or on the copier somewhere, with 5 cents a page.
Their limited liability and disclaimer says that they have no responsibility for any kind of damage! Did they hear about stolen identity???
And they force you to do it their way saying that you don't have to buy it! But they fine you if they get you with out it...
We will have to pay more in the future, because they will need special systems and personnel to protect our data...
Is that moron from liberals?

ion

Re: NEW FISHING LICENSE
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »

Now, lets say you are fishing and the ranger comes to check you; then, I suppose he will make a check in their database, over the internet, to see that your information is valid; now lets say they have lost your information, their mistake;
that means they can "prove" you fished without licence plus forged a fishing licence?

ion

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »

somebody mentioned the alberta's system; as i understood all the information is on the card (not in a database maintaned by dfo)
you loose the card nobody can use or change the information on the card; much better; and alike with the stamp system which i think is more cheaper and reliable.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 06:28:33 AM »

Ya, I always hear about the Alberta and Ontario (ithink) cards.  What I like most of that is they are waterproof...awesome.
Some years there is not much left of my license.  I try to keep it dry in a zip lock but even that sometimes is not enough.
Must have a drawback to paper though.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »

Dear Vendor,

I want to update you on our evolving approach to the challenges we currently have with the angling e-license system.

We are trying to resolve the technical problems however it continues to be unstable and unpredictable. To try to reduce angler and vendor anxiety I am proposing two modest steps for the short-term:

1.      There is now a message on both the angler web site and vendor web site explaining how the Conservation Officers will handle field situations where an angler cannot produce a license during this uncertain time. The Chief Conservation Officer is advising his Officers that in the event where they check an angler and the angler cannot produce a license then the angler will be issued a slip telling the angler to produce the license within an appropriate period of time to the Conservation Officer Service once the electronic system is back up and running reliably.

2.      If a vendor currently has old license stock on hand, and the e-license system is not working, then the vendor may use that stock to sell a license until end of business day on Sunday April 5. I appreciate that a number of you may not have stock available. At this point in time we cannot get any stock to you for this weekend.  I will be working with government staff over the next two days to diagnose and restore the electronic system. On Monday we will review the status of the system and make a further determination as to whether we will continue with paper stock throughout next week.

I know that these two steps will not be a satisfactory fix, but I hope that this will result in some improvement for you and your customers. 

Regards,

Tom Ethier

bmynbr

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »

I got mine today, no probs at all.  Took like 5 minutes then realized that I had no ink... :P

Morty

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »

You can't get the traditional paper type anymore. All the details have been discussed here

Yes you can - my fishing buddy got a freshwater 2009-2010 from Walmart at Guildford yesterday.  Read it three times to make sure it was for this coming year.  Nice shiny coloured conservation stamps to boot.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Licensing time...
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »

I wonder why I am buying these licenses and conservation stamps when most of the money we put into the fishing licenses goes to government's general revenues so they can pay them selves and not to the DFO or fresh water fisheries or enviromental protection or anything that it's intended for.
Aren't they making enough money from taxing the fish farms?
Perhaps we should be localizing the licensing so that we pay a license for the river we go to and the money is not paid to the goverment but to the local hatcery or conservation society.
We would know where the money is going to.
I still buy all the licenses, but the question why always lingers...

Every year I read some stupid comments like this. Back up what you say. Where do you think the money comes from that runs FFSBC? Go look at www.gofishbc.com and read all the stockings that goes on. It is so tiring to hear people whining about a $100 license to fish our province. What other form of entertainment or hobby can you do that is so cheap? Golf? No bloody likely.

BB if you think this comment is stupid you should read the latest issue for BC Outdoors to see how much of your salmon conservation dollar went into salmon conservation.
According to the author and his numbers the problem is systemic.
Just because Freshwater fisheries stock lakes doesn't mean squat. Whoopty doo!
Like that's their Annual Financial Report.
I'm not saying we should stop buying licenses, but we should just think about what's going on here.
I certainly do care about where my money is going,
especially when I'm spending it with intent to support a cause I'm interested in.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »

Please don't be confused tidal fishing licenses (managed federally) with freshwater fishing licenses.

The money generated from your freshwater fishing licenses is allocated as follows:

• 21% to Ministry of Environment (~$2.7M)
  • 25% to habitat conservation trust (~$3.3M)
  • 54% to Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC (~$7.0M)

The purpose of the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is to conserve and enhance the freshwater fish resources of BC for the benefit of the public through various initiatives. Beside stocking 7.1 million fish in 818 lakes and streams across this province each year, the society is involved in conservation programs such as the recovery of white sturgeon and steelhead. "Your license dollars at work" is not simply a a marketing slogan, but it reflects by the effort and dedication of society staff, who are also mostly anglers.