Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poachers  (Read 6752 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Poachers
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »

I live in a rural community where there are certain rivers that are generally far from everywhere so they get no steelhead enhancement  and little enforcement because there are so far away from everywhere.  I fish there maybe ten times a year for steel head and there used to be a reasonable number of fish every year but now  the numbers are really down.  I still go and fish.
What is getting to me is when I am on a closed to fishing part of the river(spawning section) and I see bait bags and beer cans all over the beach.  This makes me very angry that people are fishing there.  I know the CO,s are hot to bust some people on the river but it is very difficult for them to get these guys because there are busy and have to be other places.

What can be done to help stop poachers in remote areas?
Could camera be set up or something?
What!!!???

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

mci

Re: Poachers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »

Have you tried contacting the DFO and giving them the details of your findings?? Get some pictures of the area and send them in?? Maybe once they see some proof they might attempt to do something.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

I know it's sometime frustrating and futile but report the violations.

bluesteele

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

I know how you feel. I have ran into this many times. Fly fishing only rivers and guys chucking gear and bait!

A trail scouting camera would sure do the trick.  You rig em up in a tree to scout game or poachers.

Heres a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/subcategory/subcategory-index.jsp.5_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=cat20098&navCount=0&parentId=cat20712&navAction=push&returnPage=&returnQueryString=&cmCat=MainCatcat602006-cat601629&parentType=subcategory&rid=

If the link doesnt work goto cabelas .com click on hunting then cameras.

Nothing better than photographic evidence.  :)

Bluesteele

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »

Ya that's what I was thinking.  2 cameras one where they park to get a license plate and one at the spot.
I want a conviction because this has been going on for years.  We always report these finding but it is so hard for the enforcement guys to get a bust.
Would these camera images stand up in court?   Anybody? ??? ??? ???

Then when I get the photos I want to post them everywhere on the net and magazines...everywhere.  Sure a little fine might not be so bad but hows about a bunch of shame.
I know these people know better! >:( >:( >:( >:(

I'm pissed >:( >:( >:( >:(

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »

Friend from work was walking his dog at Mill lake and saw a guy pulling his boat out of the water with seven fish. Was showing them off quite proudly to the on lookers. Unfortunatly the guy was by himself which means three fish over the limit  >:( Would have called rapp if i saw it myself. Thats the problem with some of the "urban" lakes, is that there are a lot of people fishing that are new and unaware of the regs. Please take the time to educate them if you see this as they probably are simply unaware, i know not an excuse, but will abide by once advised.

Nymph

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »

I know that civialian video on private property is admissible in court. I am not sure if it would be if taken on public property. DFO or Conservation would be able to provide the advice. The problem with video is using it for identification, often the quality is horrible and unusable.

The more you report problems to DFO / Conservation the more they know where to concentrate their efforts. With limited resources they need to go where the most problems are.

Git-R-Done

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply s.
Advice taken.
I really was hoping for a silver bullet answer but thats how things are in the fish business. :-\ :-\ :-\

They don't call-em fish for nothin.

skibumAB

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

In Alberta we can make a $100 ( upon conviction) by turning in poachers.  If BC had this program they could train the crack and meth heads to turn in poachers instead of them busting car windows and stealing anything they can find ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Sasamat
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »

My buddy was fishing Sasamat Lake this weekend and saw a bunch of fishermen using two rods from shore. The fishermen claimed the rules were changed last year. As far as I know you can only use two rods if you're fishing from a boat by yourself.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Sasamat
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »

Yup. No changes that I've read.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »

Thanks Dion, that's what I thought. Apparently the guys were telling my buddy that the rules were changed to make it more fair for the fishermen on shore ;)

Nymph

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:51:40 AM »

As I've said before... Rules for some are merely Guidelines...

If some people felt it was something they could get away with, they'd do whatever. 

Report, report, report.
Git-R-Done