Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: west coast trail feeeshing?  (Read 7561 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
west coast trail feeeshing?
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:57 PM »

Howdy fishers, I am planning to go on the west coast trail in the summer... of course I don't know about fishing opportunities, but I plan to bring a rod and maybe a small speargun.. Anyone ever done this before?  What kind of fish could I potentially get from shore and if I took a mask and snorkel is there possible spearfishing?

Flies or bait?

Jon

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: west coast trail feeeshing?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »

Lose the speargun you won't find much opportunity to use it.

Small-I mean small Rockfish around rocks close to shore use small dark lures maybe some Surf Perch too-bony but tasty good for soup.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »

Its a great hike, though I don't remember too many spots i would have fished, some of the beach walks get flooded out at high tide and some are too rough etc.I would pack light and prepare for ALOT of rain.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Watch for waves as well

JordsyU

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »

Im going to do the trail as well, any fishing opportunities would be great to know about!!!! If not I believe Bamfield has some good fishing, maybe a few extra days there would'nt hurt :)
Beako for Life

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »

All things being somewhat edible if the fish aren't going to bite the Barnacles are pretty big over there.

Cooking

In a saucepan, heat some water to the boiling point with a bay leaf and a small handful of sea salt or, better yet, 1 part sea water to 2 parts fresh water;
3. immerse the barnacles in the boiling water for a few seconds, then serve them cold, on their own. Careful! Overcooking will toughen them.
4. gently twist the calcareous plate so that the edible part comes out of its brown canvas-like sheath. The white flesh is delicious, and to complete the experience, why not suck on the sleeve that encloses it? You’ll taste the sea!

A good bottle of wine and your dining in style.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »

My buddy went last year, said they got into some decent sole in some of the sandy bits.  I would have thought that there would be kelp beds to cast to somewhere along the way for greenling or some larger perch, no?

Big Rob

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »

My son and his new bride did the west coast trail  the first week of september 2008. He took a small rod along and managed one rock fish from shore  on a muscle. After looking at his pictures there are alot of spots I think you would do well with a small buzz bomb, also they crossed alot of creeks that looked big enough to hold resident brookies and cutthroat. He really did"nt put much effort into it. Might want to check regs as to what is avalable   B.R.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

.....also they crossed alot of creeks that looked big enough to hold resident brookies and cutthroat.
I've fished Carmanah Creek lots of small Troutie like fishies but nothing worth the catching.

Good point on the Sole though but finding the right spot on the right tide will be a challenge-that place is all about trekking not fishing.

patagonia

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »

Not sure if you should be harvesting Barnacles or shellfish in a park??

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »

No worries about barnacles.  I don't find the idea that appetizing.  I just found a bit of hint about river fishing and it sounds like it could be pretty good that time of year.  I will have to check with the parks people as it is a national park, and might have special regs.

Also heres a link for all you.  Its a guys trip journals from some pretty awsome canoe trips in the area.

http://ripplewake.ca/tr/

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

AWESOME!!! Me and the boys are hittiing the trail in May...and were all gonna be strapped with light rods and gear.

island boy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:42 PM »

going in may? be ready for some wet weather camping.
you kill it, you clean it.

OGrady

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »

The falls on that trail had some realy nice cutties in it and if your read "blisters and bliss west coast trail guide" they have a section in fishing in both fresh and salt. talks about some of the creeks and stuff and is a little helpful but not that great :( Pack light and probly go gear, its realy a great trail though

wut end u starting from??