Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hawaiian recipe - loomie salmon, eating raw fish w/o knowing it  (Read 3447 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Hawaiian recipe - loomie salmon, eating raw fish w/o knowing it
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »

If you don't like raw fish, or tired of eating bbq way, or want some variation from the standard sushi/sashimi eating, read on.

I love sushi and sashimi. But I would never develop such taste for raw fish without trying out Hawaii lommie salmon recipe first. You see, I was one of those guys scared to death about eating raw meat. The very thought of eating it cause me upset stomach. That is until I unknowingly ate raw salmon without knowing it - Hawaiian Loomie salmon. After eating that stuff in Hawaii, thinking it was just a tomato salad, I thought what a deliciously refreshing salad with some unknown sweet flavour (the raw fish). Only to find out later that I have eaten raw fish without knowing it, without my conscious objection. It is now one of my favourite ways to eat raw salmon especially for lunch or light dinner during hot summer. Why? Just check out this recipe:

1. cut up 1 or more really ripe red tomato to small cubes, the more ripe and juicy the better. The amount of tomato depends on the fish.
 2. cut up small piece of defrosted salmon fillet to same size cubes as the tomato, but use half the volume as the tomato.
 3. cut up 1 stalk of green onion (if you can eat it raw) to small pieces.
 4. squeeze half a lemon juice to the mixture of 1, 2 & 3. (or adjust the lemon juice quantity based on the amount of fish used)
 5. Mix well in a bowl and refrigerate over night. The salmon cubes blend in with tomato cubes and you can hardly see the raw meat anymore.
 6. If you like, add mayanaise (adjust to the amount you like) to the mixture the next morning. This actually conceals the fish cubes even more.
 7. The lemon juice should have cured the raw fish over night. Eat the mixture as an appetizer by itself, or eat it as spread on cock tail cookies, or spread it on crunchy toasts or use any favourite bread you like. Some people mix it with noodle/spaghette.

I used my Valentine steelhead to make this loomie salmon today and spread it on freshly baked crunchy toasts for lunch today. Delicious. Go down with a little hot soup, that was heavenly. It is a light meal eating salmon this way and you don't have to use too much salmon/steelhead each time. Hey with the slow fishing now, eating fish this way may last your meager catch much longer.  ;D

Enjoy and report to us how you like this recipe,

SH
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:17:03 PM by Steelhawk »