Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question on strike detection  (Read 1622 times)

Scott

A question on strike detection
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »

This is my first year steelheading and I have a question about vibrations.  You know when your weight hits the ground and you can feel the vibrations from it transferred up to your thumb?  Well I was wondering if there are any vibrations when a steelhead takes your offering.  Is it possible to detect a strike even if your float does not sink?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: A question on strike detection
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »

you want your presentation 1-2 feet off bottom. if your achieving this then yes you can detect small strikes before the float plunges. I caught several white springs this year this exact way, i was using big chunks of roe and they really like to just suck it off your hook. some of the people around me (flossers mostly) didnt understand how i was catching so many without my float going under. Every fish was hooked nicely inside the mouth, I even had one chase it and almost rip the rod out of my hand  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

coho killer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »

I like my gear about 8 inch off the bottom.Looks more natural then it bouncing i think. I hooked 2 fish this year without my float going down it just kinda stopped and started to swim up stream.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »

I don't think he's saying that he floats, touching bottom, but rather, can you detect a light strike in the same way that you can feel the subtle tink of bottom when you are floating too deep.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

The key is watch your float very closely. Set the hook when you detect something unusual about your float ie. if it hesitates, quivers, starts moving upstream and of course when it plunges. Many of my steelheads have been caught with the float acting as if it was hung up on a snag.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:59:20 PM »

to be honest they're all different, but if u do feel it, it ususally goes along the lines of a quick double tap and then your float dives (hard pull), lately they have all just been dunked, no chomping
Fish killer 101