Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 24th 2009: A blustery day on the flow  (Read 2698 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 24th 2009: A blustery day on the flow
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »

hit the chilliwack today with my fishing partner Flyguy,after seeing the water conditions have been better lately and the weathernetworks promise of good weather and calmer winds for today our hopes and anticipation were high for a successful trip out.
we decided that we wanted to start out at first light in the lower river ,on our drive out the temperatures seemed to be good and the wind seemed to be very minimal until we pulled into the parking area ,the wind in the lower end was quite strong and really not conducive to a good drift or proper presentation of our offerings,at this point we decided to try some of the runs up river a little in hopes of getting out of the wind.The water up river was in excellent shape and we fished some beautiful fishy runs with no takers,after hitting this area for a couple hours we decided again to go back down river in hopes that the winds had subsided a little,as it turns out it was windy but not quite as bad as first light so we decide to give it a try,at the area we were fishing the water was in perfect shape and to my surprise the river had changed considerably ,producing several classic steelhead runs.We fished several runs with no success for either of us but we did see two fish taken and heard there were 4 caught earlier in the same area,there didn't seem to be allot of pressure in the areas we fished today and we pretty much had access to all the best water without having to compete with others for the prime spots,on our way home we decided to stop and take a look if the river had changed much in one of our most favored areas,we didn't fish it because we had to get home but we found the river had some subtle changes for the better and we bumped into Chris doing his rounds,after a nice chat we head er for home,even with the winds and our lack of success it was still a very enjoyable day on the flow.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 24th 2009: A blustery day on the flow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

wat was the clarity like in the lower end today? i might be out in the afternoon tomorrow.
Fish killer 101

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:50:09 PM »

the clarity was good all day,good luck ,YG.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:25:32 AM »

thanks alot searun, good to hear u got out, mabey i will too.
Fish killer 101

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »

It sure was nice to be out especially finding some new and very nice steely water. It was just to bad that some beek had to ruin one run by low holeing use but oh well I guess that is the way of some new fishers. It was nice to bump into Chris and have a good chat.
Hopefully the weather will be better next time out.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jeff

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »

I have a question for flyguy and cammer. I was out this weekend making my way down the river and came across a gruop of about 5 guys fishing the run. I had been watching theem as iI made my way down river and in the time it took me to come down river quite a ways they had not moved once. So when I came up to them and they still had not moved I reeled my line in walked behind them went down river a ways fishied the tailout and kept making my way down river. I watched them as I made my way down and they did not move once. So my question is does that make a hole jumper? I figure if there not moving and fishing the tailout why should I have to compeltely skip it and make my way all the way to the next run before I can keep fishing.
Enjoying the water..........

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »

Well what they are doing is called fence posting and you have every right to go below them. What I usually do is ask them if it is alright to fish below them and if they say no I will ask why since they are not moving. They will usually say it is fine though. Most guys that fence post would not even know why you even asked them if it is ok to fish below them as they have no idea how to work a run.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

I normally fish above a guy for 15-20 minutes and see if they have the intention to move down. Most steelheaders knows that it is vital to move along after a few casts. If they are fence posting then I will move below them but I will stay the distance away from that person.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »

the area we were fishing the water was in perfect shape and to my surprise the river had changed considerably ,producing several classic steelhead runs.

I know what you mean...
Everyone's there now.
I had one on and lost it, on roe.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:28:15 PM by adriaticum »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »

Just to show what water conditions was like yesterday at Wilson Road.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:49:11 PM by Every Day »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »

no, you start at the top and work down the run........there is no other way, starting at the bottom and working up is not what a guy that has fished the river 20 year does.

if you start in the middle of a run you still move down.

when I run into fence posters I fish down to them ,if they dont move I go around them  and start  fishing below them, giving them a bit of space. I do the same weather I flyfish or gear fish.

Lowholing is when you go into a run and start below another angler already working the run.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 12:25:15 PM »

Seems like each year it gets a little worse for this....

Can't say it's just  young guys doing it either as I've noticed it happening more with the old guys who should know better but for some reason feel an entitlement or who knows what..

Jeff, I would always go up and ask if it's OK, I think you'll find most of the time the guys that are fence posting don't move and it won't bother them, you'll also find that it's a good chance to gab with some new guys and possibly learn or make some new friends.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »

that last spot got alot bigger than what i remember it like. I havent fished there since last year, mabey its my eyes!
Fish killer 101

NFM

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »

lol i agree with that , i thought the same thing, i think maybe the water is alot higher? thats why it looks different. Last year when i fished it last it almost seemed like half or 3/4 of the width