Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chironomid fishing stocked lakes  (Read 34646 times)

nutsford

Re: Chironomid fishing stocked lakes
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »

For roche snowcone black with red rib.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »

Since this thread appears to have generated so much enthusiasm I can only assume all of you are as keen to get out as I am. :(
I do have another question though:

How well do these tiny Chronie patterns work when the water clarity is not too good? Stocked lakes like Mill and Lafarge are hardly pristine and Chrystal clear.

nosey

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »

Real dumb question here but if I were afraid of looking stupid I'd never leave the house. How do you use a loop knot how big a loop do you use how do you hang the fly on it, I've just never done it and never seen anyone else doing it? btw this has been a very interesting thread for me so far, some of the best days I've had with my fly rod have been chironomid fishing.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »

Here's a good video on how to tie a 'duncan loop'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wEM8iWPzo

I try to get my loops as small as possible.

Fishseeker, chronimids can still be very effective even when the water clarity isn't the best. You would be amazed at how bright a properly tied fly will shine in the water.

That said, most of the better chronimid fishing does occur in the spring time when the hatches are going strong and the lakes are still quite clear.
Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »

I also make the loop as small as possible ( when I tie them ;) )

Chronies all spring and summer long!!! Even with bad clarity. Chronies make up most of the trouts diet so they are always feeding on them. If you find the fish they will come. I usually start out with a chromie and well switch if I know its in the fishes face and they are not taking it. Dont forget a hand twist it can be the difference between getting fish and being skunked. Leaving it static does not always work.

Anyways any of those that are truly serious about this type of fishing should get some on the water lessons. I myself have had the lessons on the water and they took me from hitting fish periodically to constantly producing fish. All the words in the world could not help you a much as being taught hands on by an experienced chronie fisherman.

BC Outdoors is putting on a fly fishing weekend called " Learning with the Pros " in May on Salmon Lake. I seriously suggest trying to see if their are any openings left as this well take you to the next level. If I had that weekend free I would be doing it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 07:25:31 PM »

Thanks.  It's good to know I can fish this even if the water clarity is not great.

If I can find the time and the willingness to cough up the cash I am sure I would have a lot to learn from that "Learn from the Pros" course.  Thanks for the heads up on that bbronswyk - its definitely something I will consider doing.