Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: here kitty kitty  (Read 34435 times)

nosey

Re: here kitty kitty
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »

Laidlaw, Jones Lake exit off the freeway.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »

awesome!

whens the last time youve seen the tracks? Cougar or Bobcat?

thanks

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »

I a cat that size can kill 50 deer a year

Definately an exaggeration, a cougar will kill 20 average sized dear a year AT MOST!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

there are cats that just kill, not for food but just to kill.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »

Definately an exaggeration, a cougar will kill 20 average sized dear a year AT MOST!

a Cat will kill a deer a week
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »

and you track cougar..

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »

I live with a cougar........ ;D ;) :P

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »

In all seriousness these things are almost like seals. It is just a game to them. They dont always eat their kill, they are killing machines and just kill for the hell of it.
How much do you eat a week? Is it not realistic that a cat as big as you (maybe bigger) would not eat the same amount or more?
Seems like a lot of people slagging hunters for no good reason.

My friend got a bobcat yesterday in a racoon trap at Lickman Road, anyone missing a pet  ;D

I live with a cougar........ ;D ;) :P

;D ;D ;D

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »

wow...20 dear/year x say 4000 cougar in BC=80000 dear dead!!   

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

An adult Cougar will eat one deer per week.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »

and you track cougar..

ya you have to watch out for them at Gabbys on friday nites
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »

I will not state my opinion on if I am against or for the hunt but to clarify the facts: An adult cougar can eat up wards of 10 kg in a night and yes, they do sometimes kill for the sake of killing, but those animals are few and far between, as the odd black bear and lynx have also been known to kill for fun, so this should not be used as a general rule. On average a cougar will kill a deer every 8-16 days and 80% of their diet consists of deer (dependant on area, some areas have a 80% kill of elk or moose etc). One of the reasons these cats kill more often is because they are easily spooked off a kill and once retreated will rarely come back. Coyotes have been known to spook cougar off their kill shortly thereafter, so this is actually beneficial to the environment. Some areas without large predators have so many deer that they are devastating the environment by eating all vegetation on site which leads to disease and die offs. But of those that kill for fun, a single cat can devastate local populations of animals, there is a report of a puma in Mexico killing 72 horses, mule yearlings and colts in a 9 and a half month period, and in one reported incident of 192 sheep killed in a single night! And yes, NOSEY is CORRECT an adult will on average kill one deer per week. As for the comments about cougars eliminating deer populations, that is completely FALSE. Because of their perceived threat to deer herds, many studies have been done both by hunters and non-hunters to assess the impact of cougars on deer populations . Results from these studies suggest that the impact of cougars on prey populations is actually inconsequential in regulating prey populations and in fact, prey numbers often increased in areas while puma populations remained stable.cougar populations will self regulate to available prey and will not breed if not needed.The only documented cases where puma populations affected the prey (deer) populations was in cases where deer populations were low due to over hunting, severe winters, or poor breeding ( means that their effect was only secondary to the other problems). As for the problems with the local cougar, contact your local conservation officer and they will trap, kill or hunt for the cougar if it is a perceived threat. And using your dogs to chase  a cougar is ILLEGAL UNDER THE WILDLIFE ACT, as a hunter you should know this! It is considered harassment of local wildlife and charges can be laid if caught. Please obey the LAW and people get your facts right . Although I see the hunters point on getting a bad reputation I also see the point of educating yourselves as hunters to the local laws and the true facts on native wildlife. Some of the comments sound like the uneducated people in the early 1900s calling to kill all killer whales because they hunt humans, some facts are just simply NOT TRUE. Anyways, wether you like cougar hunts or not, at least this man is willing to use all of his kill, that is a TRUE HUNTER.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:40:40 AM by salmonsturgeontrout »

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »

As for the problems with the local cougar, contact your local conservation officer and they will trap, kill or hunt for the cougar if it is a perceived threat. And using your dogs to chase  a cougar is ILLEGAL UNDER THE WILDLIFE ACT, as a hunter you should know this! It

For you info, i am on the list to contact if and when a local Cougar comes a threat or a problem...I would use my hounds to track the cat so it can be killed (residential area). For my time i would be paid.

As for your comment on using my hounds to chase a cougar is illegal, its obvious your not a hunter! its completley legal. ;D another know it all :-X

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

I was not aware you were a contact for the co's . I thought you were a hunter that wanted to do that for fun when not hunting, in which case, it is illegal to harrass wildlife.I realize it is legal when you have a tag and are hunting or do contract work

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

I am a contact for the CO's, but i am a hunter and enjoy chasing cat and bears until i get a call.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:38:01 PM by BCHunter »