Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish System - River conditions?  (Read 3031 times)

c-pin

Squamish System - River conditions?
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »

Hello ....

I am thinking of heading up to the Squamish system in the next couple of days. I have checked the Hydrograph, and it looks OK. However, if anyone has actually seen the river today (or yesterday), could you let me know how it looks? It sure would help my decision on whether or not to go.

Cheers,  John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Squamish System - River conditions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

I was fooled by the hydrograph yesterday. The river is huge, looked like the Thompson yesterday, even some of the side channels looked bigger than the Vedder. The visibility was about 12", so basically it was blown  :'(  The Cheakamus was about med height, however the visibility was about the same as the Squamish.

Carlo 

catch22

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »

hello c pin i was on the river sunday the water was about 3 or 4 feet lower than last weekend with visability at about 1 feet.unfortunately in the 7 times Ive been up there flyfishing this year Ive only landed around 25 chum . the chum fishery up there has definitely gone down the craper in the last couple years,sorry to say. but there are still a few nice cromers around and some awesome scenery so go give it a try, good luck.............

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

but there are still a few nice cromers around...

But there won't be many more left if we don't give them a break. ;)
A fishery that is closed for retention due to conservation reasons is a fishery which should be left alone altogether.
At least for a year or two until stocks rebound.

quincy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »

A fishery that is closed for retention due to conservation reasons is a fishery which should be left alone altogether.

i can agree with that

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

Milo if one fishes as ethically as possible Im not sure if I agree with you on that....If what you say was actually the case we wouldnt be fishing steelhead much at all now would we??  Do you hit the Squamish system at all for the 500 or so steelies we get a year or any other C&R systems? They are that way due to conservation reasons are they not?

Not meant to be inflamatory, just stating my opinion...

cheers
Derek
always a student

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

Dereke, it's all a matter of perspective.
I personally choose not to add to the pressure if a run is compromised.
As careful as we may be, catch and release does result in mortality, and when the numbers are seriosly compromised, every fish counts.

Given that there are other more productive runs of chum in the LML, why not go there for some C&R action?
I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I would certainly feel better catching and releasing chum on the Vedder or Stave or Chehalis or other less frequented watersheds than on the Squamish this year.

Hopefully, the Squam chum will soon be back to their former glory, and this whole conversation won't even be an issue.

Tight lines,

Milo

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:19 PM »

It's all a matter of perspective.

Yep. ;) Generally I prefer to (or at least try to) stay away from practicing excessive catch and release. Fish should not die by pleasuring anglers simply because we crave that tug. The reality is, some will die so it's always good to have some moderation to minimize impact. That is my belief, which makes me feel better about myself so it doesn't mean that I would ask others to practice the way I do. After all, they are fishing lawfully.

Resource managers obviously are aware of mortality caused by recreational catch and release, so that factor has been taken into account when deciding if the stock can be utilized. Stocks are managed based on escapement number. If escapement number is not met, then total fishing closure would be implemented since every fish counts (a good example would be the spot closure in the Upper Chilliwack River to allow the hatchery meet the spawner requirement, the same applies to wild spawner requirement). If escapement number is too low for recreational harvest but not endangered, then catch and release opportunities are provided. Mortality by recreational catch and release happens from time to time, but the percentage is so low that the number of fish presumed dead is insignificant compared to mortality by other factors (seals for example). In a month from now, the recreational sockeye catch and release mortality study will be released. We were given a presentation a month ago about it and it reconfirms how low that mortality is (of course a study doesn't always represent what happens in the real world, but that's to be discussed in another thread when the study comes out ;) ).

Anyway, as Carlo said, visibility is poor and in my opinion the salmon fishing season in the Squamish River system is unfortunately done for 2008.

c-pin

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »

Thanks for the river updates guys ...... To put everyones mind at rest; I was going to target Coho.

Cheers, John

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »

John, the coho fishing has been as poor as the chum salmon fishing. It was good briefly in late October when water condition cooperated, but the reports coming lately have not been good.

I'll have to settle with my one and only coho of the season from up there.

c-pin

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

Thanks Rod and everyone else who advised me on the river conditions.

I think we will head up to the Vedder for some (hopefully) late run (fresh) Coho.

Cheers,  John