Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Como Lake - any boat restrictions?  (Read 14596 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Como Lake - any boat restrictions?
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »

I am looking to take my Nephew out to Como Lake this weekend and I was hoping to take him out in my rubber dinghy.   Would like to be able to tow a lure or fly behind it so he doesn't have to deal with casting (I figure just having him hold the rod without having to worry about casting would be the best way).   I have also found from a previous outing with him that the middle of the lake seems to be the most productive - we could only get into fish by casting far from the dock and that is challenging at best for a kid.

Anyway,  I am not sure if we are allowed to do this - I don't recall seeing any 'no boating' signs when I was last there but I wasn't paying much attention at the time.  Does anybody know if this is OK?

(Note:  I don't need a boat launch - the dinghy is easy to get into the water from the shallow sections of the lake).

salmonlander

Re: Como Lake - any boat restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:28:56 AM »

non powered boats are allowed

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »

non powered boats are allowed

Thanks SalmonLander.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:00:56 PM »

Also, this is somewhat related to the topic. As of October 28th, 2008, the age restriction has been lifted at Como Lake in case you don't know fishseeker, so you can also enjoy catching some fish with your nephew.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »

Also, this is somewhat related to the topic. As of October 28th, 2008, the age restriction has been lifted at Como Lake in case you don't know fishseeker, so you can also enjoy catching some fish with your nephew.

I found this out just a short time ago. I would be interested on what you think of that Rodney. Personally I am disappointed they lifted this age limit. There are plenty of lakes in the area where you can fish that are not age restricted. Why get rid of age restricted lakes? Not only is it for kids but also retired people.

How many are left in the lower mainland? Just Sardis Pond?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »

Well, i have to say i don't agree with this decision,with very little enforcement on this lake there are allways people fishing it that don't fall within the age allowable so this decision solves that issue but now with it open to everyone this quiet little lake could get quite busy in the spring and summer and ruining the fishing experience of the young and old,i can see it turning into another lafarge situation were the fish disappear so quickly that there wont be any left for the people that cant get out to some of the other fisheries available to the general public,it has allways been a great place to take my kids in their early years to learn to fish without having to battle tons of other anglers for spots or worrying that my kids poor casting skills are going to upset someone,i grew up learning to fish on this lake and i have many fond memories of my many quiet days fishing and playing on its shores,it will be sad if my kids are denied the same privilege because of this lack of foresite.So i wonder what is going to happen with the annual fishing derby ,will it be open to everyone ??? if so maybe i will finally get a chance to win it and rob some poor kid of their moment of glory. >:( :-[
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »

why is it bad? the gov is trying to get more people to fish. licence sales are down, and sales are down. maybee RLN can shed some more light on ths.

bottom line is, the fish they put in is for a put and take fishery.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »

Consultations were done between MoE, FFSBC etc this past summer regarding this. I wasn't involved in it. My guess would be that creel surveys and samplings have been done to determine the lake has been under-utilized. On a more positive note (yes, it doesn't hurt to look at changes positively ;) ), such a move may spread out angling pressure a bit and improve angling quality for both Lafarge and Como Lakes. People who live closer to Como Lake do not have to travel further to Lafarge when they want to do a bit of fishing. Kids who normally travel further to go fishing at Como Lake can now go to Lafarge Lake for similar successes. Both lakes are now part of FFSBC's "Fishing in the City" program and will be stocked more frequently than other lakes.

So i wonder what is going to happen with the annual fishing derby ,will it be open to everyone ??? if so maybe i will finally get a chance to win it and rob some poor kid of their moment of glory. >:( :-[

Why would there be changes? The derby is run by Port Coquitlam & District Hunting and Fishing Club, the lake is managed by the Ministry of Environment. If you wish to get a chance to win it and rob some poor kid of their moment of glory, I can certainly recommend some changes to the derby organizer when planning begins in early 2009.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »

why is it bad? the gov is trying to get more people to fish. licence sales are down, and sales are down. maybee RLN can shed some more light on ths.

bottom line is, the fish they put in is for a put and take fishery.

I understand what your saying but I cant help but feel bad for the seniors and kids that frequent this lake. I lived in Coquitlam just down the hill from this lake. I took my stepson there when he was 4 years old and taught him to fish. We always saw the same seniors there sitting and fishing. They looked so peaceful and happy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »

I found this out just a short time ago. I would be interested on what you think of that Rodney. Personally I am disappointed they lifted this age limit. There are plenty of lakes in the area where you can fish that are not age restricted. Why get rid of age restricted lakes? Not only is it for kids but also retired people.

How many are left in the lower mainland? Just Sardis Pond?
Its nice that I can fish too but I have to admit it probably was better to leave it as it was.   My concern is the lake may end up getting more fishing pressure thereby making it less of an option for my nephew.   (There are plenty of other places I can go for fishing)

Thanks for the info Rodney.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »

Why would there be changes? The derby is run by Port Coquitlam & District Hunting and Fishing Club, the lake is managed by the Ministry of Environment. If you wish to get a chance to win it and rob some poor kid of their moment of glory, I can certainly recommend some changes to the derby organizer when planning begins in early 2009.

[/quote]

No changes needed to be recommended  for the derby,that is what i was getting at albeit in a sarcastic manner. :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »

So was I. ;)

salmon river

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »

I fish Como lake many times as I have a disability license and even with the age restriction still many adults fished it anyway. You catch a few trout  after the stockings but a lot of carp and other course fish in there.

Personally these age restrictions are silly anyway. Parks and lakes should be for everyone to enjoy and not all adults have the means to go to other lakes or out to the valley anyway.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »

Also keep in mind that fishery management measures are constantly being reviewed and changed if necessary. The lifting of age restriction doesn't mean it's permanent. If it needs to be changed again, it will be.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »

Here is the notice of the regulation change from MoE

Attention Como Lake Anglers

The Age Restriction is no longer in effect for Como Lake. As of October 28, 2008, Como Lake is open to angling by anyone with a valid B.C. Freshwater Fishing Licence or who is under 16 years of age.

Reasons for the change:

• The Age Restriction concept was developed many years ago when youth, seniors and the disabled required some easily accessible fisheries in order to avoid competing with more knowledgeable and agile anglers.
  • Times have changed. There are fewer anglers and many parents will not allow their children to fish alone.
  • The transfer of angling knowledge from parent to child often requires the participation of the parent, which is awkward on Age Restricted waters.
  • Disabled anglers may require assistance while fishing, and enjoy fishing with friends and family.
  • The ministry and its partners, the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and the City of Coquitlam, recognize the value of Como Lake as a family fishing lake.
  • Como Lake is a stocked fishery. It is possible to adjust the number of rainbow trout released into the lake to meet angler participation demands.

Please refer to the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis for a complete list of provincial and regional angling regulations, including daily catch quotas.
Refer to this website for other in-season regulation changes.

REGIONAL CONTACT:

Ministry of Environment
Lower Mainland Region
2nd Floor, 10470 – 152nd Street
Surrey BC V3R 0Y3
Attention: Fishing Regulations Change Coordinator
Phone: 604-582-5200