Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hachery in Squamish Closing  (Read 3651 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Hachery in Squamish Closing
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »

I have heard Berry's Bait has a petition going around to stop the hatchery in Squamish from closing  ??? . Any one out there know anything about this .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Hachery in Squamish Closing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »

do you know what hatchery it is??? and do i have to go to Berry's to sign it?
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

YY

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »

Please not let this be true. Someone confirm this please.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:22 PM »

do you know what hatchery it is??? and do i have to go to Berry's to sign it?

Tenderfoot ?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »

What?????? This is the first I have heard of this. If this is true this system might really be in trouble......... :'( :'( :'( I will make some calls and see what I can dig up.
always a student

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »

This would be a total disaster to the area if true!

Hotrod

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »

Ottawa (Ontario) – The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, on behalf of the Honourable Loyola Hearn, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today announced federal funding to carry out work at five fishing harbours in Quebec.

"Fisheries play a key role in coastal communities in Quebec’s maritime regions," said Minister Cannon. "This investment will make a major contribution toward ensuring that harbour facilities meet the needs of commercial fishers and their communities for years to come."

The $628,000 investment will be used for projects in fishing harbours on the Gaspé Peninsula, the Magdalen Islands and the North Shore of the St. Lawrence River. This announcement is added to investment totalling $6,565,000 previously announced this year for repairing harbour facilities and dredging.

Projects include paving, repairs to electrical systems, installing floating docks, a retrofit of the winter boat storage area and various maintenance work.

These projects are being undertaken under the Small Craft Harbours Program together with the harbour authorities who manage and operate the facilities for local users. Such close co-operation with clients allows the federal government to continue to provide a safe and operable system of harbours and facilities throughout Canada, in support of commercial fish harvesters.

The Government of Canada understands the importance of small craft harbours to communities across the country. Since February 2006, the permanent annual funding for the Small Craft Harbours Program has been increased by $20 million, with a further $10 million commitment made in Budget 2008 over two years for repairs and environmental cleanup at recreational and non-core fishing harbours to permit the transfer of these harbours to interested parties.

They also have some small similar projects  on the west coast ,Van.Isl. with no where near as much funding as in the east . May be this is why they look to close these hatcheries  ??? . You can park your boat at a nice state of the art dock with all the bells and whistles ,then go out in your boat fishing for no fish .Just my thoughts :P
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

buck

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »

Sounds like a good rumor.

Berry's Bait and Tackle

• Advertiser
  • Berry's Bait and Tackle
    • Berry's Bait and Tackle
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

Hello everyone , Just a note to clarify this rumour . The Squamish Hatchery is not slated to close , and we do not have a petition for this .
We do however have a petition re the Squamish to stop the proposed Garabaldi at Squamsih Project .
the petition states :
This project will devestate the remaining steelhead and salmon population that inhabit the Brohm River. In the time of large concern to the well being of fish and wildlife the fact that this is happening is unacceptable. The Squamish River system has already been destroyed by poor logging practices and pollution . This project would put the final nail in the coffin for the remaining fish stocks. The fish in this river system are a very precious resource that cannot be made extinct.

In a nut shell this developement is a condo / golf course developement that will run right alongside the best 4 km of fishing waters of the Brohm river . The golf course is slated to criss -cross the river at least 4o times , so we can assume there would be much damage to the river , hence the reason for this petition to stop this development . More information can be found at Sea run Fly and Tackle . This developement is probably worse than the closure of the hatchery .....

Come on in and sign this important petition .
Berry's Bait & Tackle.

Berry's Bait and Tackle
14651 Westminster Hwy. Richmond | 604-273-5901 | berry@berrysbait.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I thought. An existing thread about the Garabaldi development petition has already been started awhile ago:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19017.0

To all who fish the Squamish River system, please read through the information provided.

In addition, a Facebook group "Save Cat Lake!" has been started at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2464981732