Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Fishing - Wednesday to Friday  (Read 2229 times)

Morty

Best Fishing - Wednesday to Friday
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

Looks like more pressure on the remaining fish stocks.  There are more Drift Net and Set Net openings on the Fraser this coming weekend (again).  Like last weekend, this opening will be from noon Friday until noon Monday from Port Mann and downstream.

It seems to take the fish 2 or 3 days to travel the distance from the estuary up to Stave/Mission/Sumas/Harrison.  So I suspect fishing will be slower for the 2 or 3 days following the netting.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Iris

Re: Best Fishing - Wednesday to Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »

Thanks Morty for keeping us informed. I guess stories like these will be come more and more common.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081104.EWHALES04/TPStory/?query=killer+whales
It's a complete disgrace that the Department of Fish Farms and Oceans (DFO) has allowed our salmon runs to be decimated by special interest groups.

Morty

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »

So it's  "DFFO" now ?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »

Boy this sure makes it tough to get the brood stock that is required by some of the smaller hatcheries. Hopefully we will still get what we need next week  ???

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Morty

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »

I'm getting a sense that the better way to help the wild stocks is if Recreational fishers and First Nations work together against the fish farms and hydro dams.

There's a wise old saying that "The love of money is the root of all evil".  Victoria seems to have too much love for money.  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter which political party was "in power", I sense it's the ongoing paid department people that convince the ministers of the direction to take. 

I believe that Victoria presently gets a "guaranteed" head tax off every farmed fish, but for sure not from First Nations nor Recreational Fishers.
Victoria also knows that they have guaranteed sales for any hydroelectric power they can generate.
If they let the salmon collapse, they can freely dam the Fraser and the Chilliwack.

That's my rant for this week!
I love fishing!!

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:31:46 AM »

I'm curious - why weekends?  ???
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

tyee1on

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »

Chum Salmon Caviar
$41.99 a can

at costco .ca  in B.C check there site