Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Thompson River steelhead updates  (Read 2271 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Thompson River steelhead updates
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

Ouch, what is happening to the Thompson run?  Let me guess...Does it have something to do with rail spills, gravel extraction, or FN nets?  This sucks.  The T was one of those rivers I had hoped to hit one of these years. 

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »

i think farming has alot to do with it. they suck the spwaning grounds dry to grow more crop. specially when the weather is warmer and the water too. very bad for the smolts.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »

double ouch.  That's one thing that Washington and Oregon has struggled with for years and I don't see it getting any better.  The "right to farm" laws are so entrenched, they trump almost everything else.  The only thing that can be reasonably done is to make their irrigation systems and practices as efficient as possible. 

NFM

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »

I believe it has alot to do with all the FN chum fishing done in the fraser river and in the canyons just below the thompson river. If they dont let the commercial fisherman fish chums in the fraser due to protecting steelhead stocks then why let the FN fish 3 days a week ? does it make scence ? hmmmmmm ?I dont think so

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »

And with basic food price on the rise and the population need to be fed, don't expect farm been shut down.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 02:10:31 AM »

screw food price this is aprotected species...no excuse.the federal government needs to get involved and stop this bull for both parties. no respect for mother earth these days.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 02:33:26 AM »

Yes we need a plague and kill off some population THAN you can say screw food production.  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

For a more in-depth discussion on the Thompson River steelhead status, take a look at this thread in Flybc:

http://www.flybc.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=12496

As stated in that discussion, if you wish to get involved, join the Steelhead Society of BC. A meeting is being hosted tonight at Pacific Angler:

Quote from: 'Pacific Angler' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:33 PM' post='135888'
There is a Steelhead Society of British Columbia Directors meeting tonight at 7pm at Pacific Angler.

We would like to make this an open meeting to people who are interested in coming down and learning more about SSBC and working with us on the issues facing today's steelhead stocks.

The shop is located at 232 W. Broadway on the south side of Broadway between Columbia and Alberta.

If you would like to attend please RSVP by email at Jason Tonelli
Kind Regards,

Jason Tonelli

Pacific Angler
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:28:17 PM by DionJL »