Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River upper fishing boundary update  (Read 32907 times)

GFL108-12

Re: Chilliwack River upper fishing boundary update
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

River etiquette,

I do not beleive there is such a thing anymore, There was a time when consideration and respect on the river was common place. You could meet new people on the river and fish with them all day then part ways with a mutual respect for each other. On recent trips I have witnessed fist fights over a boot spring that I would not feed to my cat, People I will not call them fishermen wadding into the run to retrive a float and them a hook. I left my spot to land a fish, returned to have two guys in my spot then they act like I am moving in on them. I don't go as often as I use to these days I wonder why...

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

Hey my float is all green   ;D

Flossing flossing flossing, when would this get old...
Leader restriction yap, you know flossing with a spinner is actually ALOT more effective.  Hey 0" leader length.  Try banning that!!!
im sorry but i dint understand your comment. can you clarify?do you mean you floss fish witha spinner?

I'm saying there's more ways than one to floss.  Leader restriction will not solve anything.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »

Hey my float is all green   ;D

Flossing flossing flossing, when would this get old...
Leader restriction yap, you know flossing with a spinner is actually ALOT more effective.  Hey 0" leader length.  Try banning that!!!
im sorry but i dint understand your comment. can you clarify?do you mean you floss fish witha spinner?

I'm saying there's more ways than one to floss.  Leader restriction will not solve anything.

Are you sure you didnt mean there is more than one way to snag  ::)  Have you seen the wall at the fish hatchery with all the hooks that have been taken out of the fish coming through. It seems all you need to catch fish there days is a spark plug and a treble hook on a trout rod  ::)  >:(

I don't like the change... it should stay closed. I have gone up there on weekends and just sat there watching for a long time just laughing (because you can't do anything else) about how people can fish there. It's horrible to see all these boot springs being landed in the tails and sides, many of them end up dying anyways because the biggest problem I have seen with this group of anglers is NO ONE REVIVES THE FISH. I came across quite a few fish this year, lying in the shallows on their sides trying to catch a breath.. I was able to revive a few but many went back to the seagulls  :'(

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »

And you seriousely think by moving them else where they'll revive fish released?  Dreamer!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

Rodney
Although I agree with what you have said at what point do we start to become advocates for fish. The "Limits Hole" is a stagging area for salmon before entering the hatchery.
These fish are very vulnerable at this point and should not be harassed to the extent that they are. No one wants to take  responsibility and make a decision that may upset
the fishing community. Unfortunately members of the UFV- SFAB do not have to witness the mayhem that takes place daily. We were asking members of the fishing community
to support a recommendation for a complete closure of the limits hole. This did not happen and a number of staff members were shocked to say the least. Once again the fish are
the losers
I was at the meeting as an observer only and did not have a vote on this issue but when there was a vote call I put my hand up as opposing the motion anyway. There is no easy answer to all the problems we have, I know that, but as Buck says we have to start thinking more about our fish than ourselves.

Then there was a presentation about the sockeye mortality study this season but that is another topic for another day. I was so upset that many at the meeting still seem to think this sockeye fishery on the Fraser River is just great, I could not listen any longer and left the meeting at the break. It seems the economics of this sockeye fishery and the type of activity we have on so many of our rivers including the Chilliwack Vedder rules over anything else these days. Very sad.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:37:15 PM by chris gadsden »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »

You could probably improve things quite a bit by making Chums, springs and pinks all catch and release.  I know it may not be too popular with some people, but it would get rid of those that are only after meat at all costs.  It wasn't that long ago that the only thing you could keep on the Vedder was coho and hatchery steelhead.  Also maybe see if the hatchery could bump up production of coho at the expense of white springs.  There seem to be quite a few chums in the river for nutrients anyways. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Rodney
Although I agree with what you have said at what point do we start to become advocates for fish. The "Limits Hole" is a stagging area for salmon before entering the hatchery.
These fish are very vulnerable at this point and should not be harassed to the extent that they are. No one wants to take  responsibility and make a decision that may upset
the fishing community. Unfortunately members of the UFV- SFAB do not have to witness the mayhem that takes place daily. We were asking members of the fishing community
to support a recommendation for a complete closure of the limits hole. This did not happen and a number of staff members were shocked to say the least. Once again the fish are
the losers
I was at the meeting as an observer only and did not have a vote on this issue but when there was a vote call I put my hand up as opposing the motion anyway. There is no easy answer to all the problems we have, I know that, but as Buck says we have to start thinking more about our fish than ourselves.

Then there was a presentation about the sockeye mortality study this season but that is another topic for another day. I was so upset that many at the meeting still seem to think this sockeye fishery on the Fraser River is just great, I could not listen any longer and left the meeting at the break. It seems the economics of this sockeye fishery and the type of activity we have on so many of our rivers including the Chilliwack Vedder rules over anything else these days. Very sad.

From what I hear now it appears the Limit Hole area will be closed year round which I, Buck and some others supported. Wait for the offical notice in the new regulations that come out in the Spring.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »

Guess they'll just have to find another limit hole.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »

Embutment  :'(  I guess a plus side to that is the embutment is a more public area, way easier to call infractions in and maybe the public will open their eyes and see what is actually going on  since it is now right in their face  :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »

Unfortunately there is many Limit Holes on most of our rivers. ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »

Unfortunately there is many Limit Holes on most of our rivers. ::)

So true

Morty

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

What about a fishing adaptation of the Ski Patrol?

Have some interested and concerned fishers getting organized to be out on the river and watch for bad practices.  Extend the eyes & ears of the CO's. 
Get them all similar, noticable jackets/hats.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »

Have some interested and concerned fishers getting organized to be out on the river and watch for bad practices.  Extend the eyes & ears of the CO's. 

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/contact_e.htm

Please let us know their thoughts of your ideas when you receive a response.

Morty

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/contact_e.htm

Please let us know their thoughts of your ideas when you receive a response.

"Their thoughts"????

Why doesn't this community build it and voluntarily support DFO?  Show them we support their efforts, want a better fishery, and are prepared to walk the talk.

If the Rec fishery fades away so does FishingwithRod.com
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »

Why doesn't this community build it and voluntarily support DFO?  Show them we support their efforts, want a better fishery, and are prepared to walk the talk.

No idea what you're talking about in the last post.

You have an idea, possibly a good one. I provided a link of contact where you could share that idea with to get things rolling. Share their responses to others on the forum so maybe they also want to get involved. You can also share your concerns on the Lower Fraser First Nations fisheries while consulting with them.

Anyway, let us know.

Regarding the boundary update, here's a C&P of the recent update Chris and I both received.

Hey everyone, the department has reviewed the issue of the temporary closure of the "limit hole" on the Chilliwack River (100M downstream of the confluence with Slesse Creek) that was implemented late this summer and following is an update.

At the fall meeting the hatchery manager (Bob Stanton) requested a permanent closure of the area for the entire year as this is a staging area for most salmon prior to their entry into the hatchery.  This was supported by our Conservation & Protection Officer who indicated that there were significant compliance issues with the area closure and the difficulty the encountered enforcing a temporary closure.  During our discussions Bob advised that, for the purposes of chinook broodstock collection, he could support a shorter closure and as you know, the UFV SFAC recommended the department continue with the closure on a temporary basis each year from August 1st to September 7th annually. 

While this motion is currently working it's way thru the SFAB process to become formal advice to the Department I wanted to advise you that after considering all the information the department will be implementing a permanent year round closure of this area on the Chilliwack River.  I have spoken to your Chair, Frank Kwak, about this issue and thank him for his views which of course support implementing your original motion.  If you have questions or concerns please contact me either by email or at the number noted below. This change will be announced via a Notice to Industry, included in the 2009-11 Sport Fishing Guide and on our website.

I thank you for your advice and hope to continue to work with you to provide effective management of fisheries that will lead to strong stocks that allow for stable and predictable opportunities.