Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brohm Creek in trouble, Garibaldi at Squamish project!  (Read 18866 times)

frenchy

Re: Brohm Creek in trouble, Garibaldi at Squamish project!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

A copy of my letter. I do not know if it helps at all. If anybody know what else could be done, please let me know.

"The Squamish Valley already suffered a lot from human activities. Extensive historical logging greatly reduced fish spawning and rearing habitats leading to a dramatic decrease in salmon and steelhead stocks. In the last few years, human assault multiplied. In 2005, 40,000 litres of caustic soda were spilled in the Cheakamus river. In 2006, it was 30,000 litres of oil in the Squamish estuary. In 2007, it was the diversion of Ashlu creek, a major Squamish tributary, to produce electricity. And what is next? A golf and ski resort that will destroy the only remaining highly productive tributary of the Valley! Brohm creek is not just a creek like another; it is the major spawning and rearing ground of the Cheakamus steelheads. As noted in the 2008 Sea to Sky Land and Resource Management Plan (http://ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp/), Brohm Creek is a very important stream for steelhead restoration and enhancement. On a Sea to Sky Land and Resource Management Plan consultation draft published in 2006, it was noted: “The lower reaches of Brohm Creek are a very high priority for restoration of endangered steelhead populations. Maintain water quality and volumes to minimize impacts to fish, consistent with steelhead restoration efforts. Do not remove water or discharge water back into Brohm Creek.” How does the development of the Garibaldi at Squamish Resort fulfill these requirements? Do the proponents of the project agree not to remove or discharge water into Brohm Creek? The productivity of a stream is determined by its chemistry and by the stream bed composition which strongly depend on the soil composition, the flow of the water, the riparian vegetation, and, of course, on the absence of chemical pollution. I urge the proponent of the Garibaldi at Squamish Resort project to demonstrate that the development and activities of the Resort will not spoil the chemical composition of the water. How are the chemicals used on the golf courses and the sewage going to affect the chemical composition of the water? How are these chemical modifications going to affect the insect life necessary to the rearing of young salmonids? The development of the Resort will be associated with important modifications of the vegetation surrounding Brohm creek. Logging and other modifications of the vegetation surrounding a stream are responsible for excessive erosion and greatly facilitate flooding events, resulting in the plugging and destruction of fish spawning ground. The proponent of the Garibaldi at Squamish Resort should demonstrate that their project is not going alter the quality of the river bed. How will the river bed be protected against excessive flooding and sediment accumulation?  
Ironically enough, Brohm creek steelheads compose the only Cheakamus steelhead sub-population not eradicated by the 2005 caustic soda spill, and they are now under death sentence… Each steelhead population is unique, when they have not been exterminated, they are struggling to survive. Steelheads are the canaries of the coal mines of British Columbia rivers. We have already lost too many populations; we cannot afford to lose the Cheakamus steelheads.

Sadly,

a concerned individual"

I am not even a citizen...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 04:44:51 PM by frenchy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »

I've had some correspondence with Squamish Streamkeepers recently. Here's the group's response regarding the issue.

The Squamish Streamkeepers oppose the Garibaldi at Squamish (GAS) development mainly because we think it will wreck Brohm Creek.  22,000 bed units plus water for two golf courses plus water for snow making is too much quantitative demand on Brohm Creek.  There is no aquifer; predominate volcanic rock allows the groundwater to flow to China.  To make DFO and MoE pay attention to this GAS travesty we have given Greg Wilson of MoE and Pat Slaney a tour of the Brohm system so that they will help us restock the system with Coho.  They are interested.  And once this happens, I hope and trust the powers that be will take more ownership of Brohm Creek and deny GAS their development.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »

The news feature has been postponed to tonight (Friday 14th) on Global at 6:00pm.

Harps

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

I've had some correspondence with Squamish Streamkeepers recently. Here's the group's response regarding the issue.

The Squamish Streamkeepers oppose the Garibaldi at Squamish (GAS) development mainly because we think it will wreck Brohm Creek.  22,000 bed units plus water for two golf courses plus water for snow making is too much quantitative demand on Brohm Creek.  There is no aquifer; predominate volcanic rock allows the groundwater to flow to China.  To make DFO and MoE pay attention to this GAS travesty we have given Greg Wilson of MoE and Pat Slaney a tour of the Brohm system so that they will help us restock the system with Coho.  They are interested.  And once this happens, I hope and trust the powers that be will take more ownership of Brohm Creek and deny GAS their development.

FYI, DFO has not yet triggered a Canadian Environmental Impact Assessment with regards to this development and its impacts, but MoE has.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have some information that I wanted to pass along to all that may be interested.  On October 27, 2008, a Global News reporter accompanied a number environmental organizations on Brohm River to discuss and bring attention to the potential impacts of the Garibaldi At Squamish proposed development.  The story has been delayed a few times but is supposed to air tonight on the 6:00pm Global TV News.

If you know of anyone else that may be interested in this story, please feel free to spread the word.

Sincerely,

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Nitroholic

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »

Saw it on the news today, hope everything works out for the best  :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »

Saw it on the news today, hope everything works out for the best  :-\
I would not count on it the way some governments and some agencies as well have been handling environmental issues on many of our rivers. :'(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:57:36 AM by chris gadsden »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

sent to me today.....

Environmental Assessment of the Proposed
Garibaldi at Squamish Project
Invitation to Comment and Open House
Garibaldi at Squamish Inc. (Proponent) is proposing to construct and operate an all-seasons destination ski resort at Brohm Ridge near Squamish, B.C. The Garibaldi at Squamish Project (proposed Project) would have 25 ski lifts on 124 developed ski trails servicing up to 1,200 hectares of skiable terrain. In addition, two golf courses, and both private and commercial accommodations are planned.
The proposed Project is subject to review under British Columbia’s Environmental Assessment Act (Act). The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts (MTCA) is harmonizing its review of the Master Plan for the proposed Project with the environmental assessment under the Act.
The Proponent has submitted Addendum #3 as supplementary information to its application for an environmental assessment certificate, which is required before any work can be undertaken on the proposed Project. The Proponent has also submitted supplementary information, Addendum #1 to its Resort Master Plan.
There is a 30-day public comment period during which the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) and MTCA will accept comments on the supplementary information for proposed Project. The intention of seeking public comments is to ensure that all potential effects – environment, economic, social, heritage and health – that may result from the proposed Project are identified for consideration as part of the environmental assessment process and Master Plan review.
The comment period will begin on June 19, 2009 and end at midnight on July 19, 2009.
In order to provide information to the public about this supplementary information and to receive comments from
the public, the EAO in conjunction with MTCA invites the public to attend an Open House to be held:
at: Sea to Sky Hotel
Sea to Sky Ballroom
40330 Tantalus Way
Squamish (Garibaldi Highlands), B.C.
on: Wednesday June 24, 2009
Starting at 6:30 p.m. there will be presentations by the EAO, MTCA, and the Proponent. The public will be provided with an opportunity to ask questions on the supplementary information.
Please submit your written comments at the Open House or send your comments to:
Graeme McLaren, Project Assessment Director
Environmental Assessment Office
PO Box 9426 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9V1
Fax 250 387-2208
Comments by e-mail may be directed to eaoinfo@gov.bc.ca; please use “Garibaldi at Squamish” in the subject line.
An electronic copy of the Environmental Assessment Application Addendum #3 and Master Plan Addendum #1 and information regarding the environmental assessment process is available at www.eao.gov.bc.ca. Information regarding the Master Plan review process is available at www.tca.gov.bc.ca/resort_development/rules/policies.htm. Copies of EA Addendum #3 and MP Addendum #1 are also available for viewing at the Squamish Library.
NOTE: All submissions received by the EAO during the comment period in relation to the proposed Project are considered public and will be posted to the EAO website. If you do not want to have your name posted to the EAO website, please indicate this with your submission and your comments will be kept confidential

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »

The environment assessment office is accepting public comments about this proposed project before July 19th! To do so, you have to download the PDF file on this page, print it, fill it out and mail it in.

I've put together a blog entry on what I think is being lost:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=127

For anyone who does not have a printer, we are going to have forms available at Fish for the Future on Saturday July 11th. You can come by, enjoy socializing with your fellow fishers, fill out the form and we'll mail it in for you.

If you have enjoyed the fishing in the Squamish River system, please do this for the river, its fish and you.

jimmywits

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »

Thank you everybody for your efforts to draw attention to the GAS Project. I am going to e-mail the project assessment director and sign the petition at High Water Tackle in North Van. I have lived and fished and cherished this region all my life and enough is enough when it comes to the reckless stewardship of this environment. I was thinking that there must be some fellow fishermen who are Lawyers, would there be an avenue here to pursue? Also this is not the first time a development in the Brohm ridge area has been proposed. I can recall this ugly prospect rearing it's head a number of times over the decades only to be quashed every time, however the proponents seam more determined this time. Thanks again for your good work.

James Miller

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »

Email from Edith Tobe in Squamish this morning.

As many of you are aware there is a proposal to develop Brohm Ridge, Cat Lake, and Brohm Lake for the Garibaldi at Squamish all season resort. The impacts from this development on Brohm Creek will be irreversible and devastating. It is doubtful that the Brohm Creek steelhead populations will survive this type of development which will dramatically reduce the quality and quantity of water feeding Brohm Creek/ River.

We would like you to take a look through the attached posters and letter. If you support the Save Garibaldi (www.savegaribaldi.org) cause and would like to add your name to the list to protect this important waterway and resource please e-mail myself (srws@shaw.ca) or Catherine Jackson  (cjj@sfu.ca ) to add your name to this letter.

We will be sending all our concerns and correspondence to the District of Squamish local municipality, and, more importantly, to our provincial government.

We need to hear from the fishing and angling communities as well as the outdoor recreation groups and any and all people who question the location of Garibaldi at Squamish and what it will do to our natural habitat!!

Edith B. Tobe, RPBio
Executive Director
Squamish River Watershed Society
Box 1791, Squamish, BC
V8B 0B3
604-898-9171; fax: 604-898-9161

I've included the files she sent in the following links:

Poster
Seton and Anderson Lakes Kokanee and Char Assessment
Signed letter of opposition

jimmywits

Garibaldi at Squamish Project
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »

E-mail sent to the Project Assessment Director;G.A.S. Project‏
Sent: July 6, 2009 11:16:00 AM
To:  eaoinfo@gov.bc.ca

Dear Sir or Ms,

I am writing you today to implore you to not permit this development going forward in this location. I am certain I need not cover in detail the hazards to the well being of Brohm creek that this project poses. However I think there is an aspect to this matter, which should be considered very carefully by all those involved in the issuance of any favorable assessment towards development. The fact is there will defiantly be discernable damage done to this watershed specifically Brohm creek. There will be ongoing testing of water samples from now on. When the damage is detected in the laboratories (of which there will be more than one) there is going to be serious career ending ramifications, both Politically and Professionally. I caution you all to be very carefull, and do the responsible thing for the sake of this essential steelhead-rearing stream. This entire region has had nothing but reckless stewardship over the years and it is time to usher in a new strategy.

Regards  Jimmywits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:51:35 PM by jimmywits »

KLX

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

Ive emailed Edith and Catherine on this subject.

This is an important issue. Wilderness development, especially pertaining to luxury resorts, golf etc, should not be part of our community ambitions when they take over sensitive ecological areas in great need of nurturing. The developer can say whatever he wants, this is all about money and will only have detrimental effects to the ecology of the area. Lets take a lesson from the recent catastrophe in Ucluelet with WindandSea resort that blasted and destroyed thousand of acres of pristine rock coastline and forest - then went belly up and sits like an open pit mine. Shameful and destructive.

Hello,
I am an architect, flyfisherman and urban developer opposed to this kind of development in our wilderness. This specific project is troubling especially with respect to it’s potential devastation to current waterways and simply the amount of land and wildlife displaced for luxury and economic purposes.

The current state of our environment especially related to anadromous salmonids should be considered above recreational development and profit.

In the latest update letter of June 18th, 2009 by President Mike Esler, he states “ …we are concerned the environmental issues are overtaking the economic opportunity for Squamish.” This comment speaks to the priorities of this developer. Please do not succumb to this kind of reasoning.

Sincerely,

Lucio Picciano MAIBC LEED
dlp architecture inc.
t 778.889.6849