Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bouncing betty  (Read 8624 times)

fisherwithrod

bouncing betty
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »

Are round weights (bouncing bettys?) allowed for fishing in the Vedder/Chilliwack? I heard someone saying that they would be allowed in the Fraser, but not in the Vedder. That person mentioned that there would be regulations about this that can be checked, but I haven't found any reference. I've seen some people using short floating but with round weights instead of other shapes.

That person also mentioned that regulations do not allow bottom bouncing as a technique on the Vedder. He wasn't trying to educate on the pros and cons of the technique itself, he was talking about regulations and that it would be illegal to use bouncing bettys at all and in any kind of setup, and that it would also be illegal to use the bottom bouncing technique.

Yes, I can see that there would be many opinions on what setup could/should (not) be used, but are there any references to this in the regulations?

Cheers,

milo

• Old Timer
Re: bouncing betty
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »

No, there aren't.
You can use betties legally. It is entirely up to you.

Concerned anglers will advise you not to, as it will inevitably put you in the 'snagger' category, because that's exactly what you would be doing if using a bouncing betty.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:42:21 PM by milo »

Kevgor

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »

Short Floating is way more effective on the Vedder/Chilliwack. The only thing BB will do is cost you $$ in lead due to snags, and it won't win friends or influence people. You will catch fish short floating - it just takes some outings to get the feel of it.
Kevgor -

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »

Have used a 1oz.-1.5oz betty to bottom bounce(with a 2' leader) a couple of holes on the wack.Didn't snag a fish or bottom.But a nice red spring was more than happy to swallow my roe.Some big deep boily holes are not possible to fish effectively with a float.I know most guys have 2-3 oz. bettys and 10'-15' leaders in mind when you think of betties and bottom bouncing, but to make a blanket statement that you would be snagging just by using a betty style weight is ridiculous.It does nothing to educate newbies who want to learn.All gear  types can be used to snag fish.Fish can be unintentionally foul hooked with ALL gear types.Some techniques do have a higher chance of foul hooking under certain conditions.They are all just tools to be used.A hammer can build a school or a hospital or  break a car window or even kill.But the guys I know with one aren't called theives or killers.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

I'm with Spoonman on this one. The term "bottom bouncing" has gotten a bad rep in the past years as being defined as snagging or flossing. Most people falsely accuse it and just tell people to short float period. Tell me how you are going to short float in a 15ft pool for steelhead or salmon. Chances of a hook up are slim to none, especially steelhead as they tend to lay on the bottom most of the time. In some cases, bottom bouncing is needed, and others, it's not. But I can't stand how some people keep saying short float short float..it's the only way! ::)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

While what you say is true, Spoonman, it is better to discourage an inexperienced angler from using the bouncing betties, as they are mostly associated with snagging/flossing. Sorry if you felt offended by the 'blanket statement'. I am well aware that you can use a BB ethically, as I have also fished some deep holes with a weight and a short leader and roe for steelhead. However, I found that a slinky far outperforms a BB, as it doesn't snag bottom that much.

troutmuncher

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »

Tried bottom bounce once but really how can you tell if you got a bite or not on it? All that thumping about, cant hardly tell .Also my arms get tired out very easily throwing those cannon balls out.Can you use betties with roe sacks too?Thought it was corkies n' wool, also I havent even yet caught any salmon except some corpse looking salmon.Guess I will never get to experiance catching a nice fresh salmon .Back to Rice lake tiddlies I suppose. :(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:28:55 AM by troutmuncher »

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:36:55 AM »

Tried bottom bounce once but really how can you tell if you got a bite or not on it? All that thumping about, cant hardly tell .Also my arms get tired out very easily throwing those cannon balls out.Can you use betties with roe sacks too?Thought it was corkies n' wool, also I havent even yet caught any salmon except some corpse looking salmon.Guess I will never get to experiance catching a nice fresh salmon .Back to Rice lake tiddlies I suppose. :(
Oh trust me when you get a hit you will know as your rod will buckle. Bottom bouncing done properly can be really effective but you have to have a feel for it. I use pencil lead and it works really well but short floating is way more fun to see your float ripped under. ;)

you can bounce any type of bait you want just keep those leaders short :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »

Tried bottom bounce once but really how can you tell if you got a bite or not on it? All that thumping about, cant hardly tell .Also my arms get tired out very easily throwing those cannon balls out...........................................
   Then the weight you are using is too heavy.Your gear should not be rolling along the bottom,but tapping bottom every so often say  every 5'-10'.A take by a fish can be felt as anything from the line stopping/stopping going slack/a series of light taps or pumping/or a total rod bending arm wrenching take down. Milo:I wasn't really offended.I understand you were trying to save some beginners  potential grief/static. Just thought a little more info/reasons could have been included.Discouragement  based on the SIZE(ie. most betties are too heavy) of the weight would be better.Not much good if the newb switches from a 2oz. betty to 8" of pencil lead or a 1' slinky.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

alamis99

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »

up 2 u but recomended not to by fisher man....

fisherwithrod

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

Generally speaking, what is referred to as "leader"? Is it the total length of line under the float, or is just the line under the weight (assuming that the weight is on the line somewhere between the float and the hook)?

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »

The leader is generally from the sinker down to the hook.

silverslab

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »

I can only think of 2 holes on the vedder that would justify the use of a betty,  one of them is a huge hole with lots of room for fish and not much room for guys so using a betty here I can understand as it would be hard to "snag" a fish. the other is simmilar but it would only be acceptable if there was no one else there as it would interupt them constantly.  Any of the people I see on the river using betty's are snagging and they dont even try to hide it.  As for doing it with a 2 foot leader,  it's still a snag machine if the weight is used to put you were the fish are, and then you reef up on as I see most people doing.  I agree that using a weight and a leader with no float can be efeective in some circumstances but I think that for the sake of the fish the river and new anglers who are learning "bottom bouncing" and "betty's" should be kept of the vedder.  And the fraser for that matter.

CohoKiller5

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

Yeah, I also totally agree on the fact that BB can be used effectivly for not snagging fish.  You guys are totally correct about the deep holes.  Try casting a 15 foot distance between your float/wieght.  Not the easiest!!  esspecially with guys on either side of you.

But theres nothing like a coho nailing on a short floated piece of roe!  thats for sure.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »

Try casting a 15 foot distance between your float/wieght.  Not the easiest!!  esspecially with guys on either side of you.

That's why they have sliding floats.