Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone here swallowed a fish bone?  (Read 12407 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Anyone here swallowed a fish bone?
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »

I believed a swallowed a fish bone today when I ate a pikeminnow.  It's my first and last time eating pikeminnows.
Anyone here swallowed a fish bone? You felt a sensation in your throat right? Did it go away after a few days?

I'm not too worried because pikeminnow bones are pretty soft but I'm still kind of worried as the sensation inside
my throat is annoying especially when eating stuff.  I just hope it's a stratch and not a fully lodged fish bone inside my throat.
I'll have to pray that it won't get lodged inside my body. I hope it gets fully digested in my stomach.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
Re: Anyone here swallowed a fish bone?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »

I've swalled fish bones a few times before, I find that the bone will dislodge its self in a few days. I've found that eating things like bread may help knock the bone out of place aswell.

yakideath12

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »

when I usually do it, i swallow some cooked sushi rice. just a spoon of rice and swallow it. it may helps ;D you.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »

After swallowing the fish bone, I ate an apple which didn't seem to do any good. Then, I ate a big bowl of raisin bran cereal, some rice, 5 tablespoons of honey, a handful of crackers, a bowl of oatmeal, a glass of blueberry/pomegranate juice, and a slice a bread.  I can still feel the sensation inside my throat. It's not painful but just a sensation of something stuck in my throat. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:51:09 PM by Long_Cast »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »

when I usually do it, i swallow some cooked sushi rice. just a spoon of rice and swallow it. it may helps ;D you.

That's what the elders said.  Oh do not chew the rice just swallow.  It does work.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »

Don't worry.
It will break down and go away.
2-3 days max.
Been there, swallowed that.  ;)

Even if you get rid of the bone (sushi rice, bread, whatever), the sensation may last for another 24-48 hours.
Just relax and don't think about it.

Cheers,

Milo

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »

Been there and done that. Try drinking some water or eat some rice. Coughing sometimes seem to help.

rg500

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:38 AM »

Break out the hemostats and hope its barbless  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:59:11 AM by rg500 »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:07 AM »

Eat lots of bread.
Chew it good and swallow larger amounts at a time.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:25:32 PM »

After swallowing the fish bone, I ate an apple which didn't seem to do any good. Then, I ate a big bowl of raisin bran cereal, some rice, 5 tablespoons of honey, a handful of crackers, a bowl of oatmeal, a glass of blueberry/pomegranate juice, and a slice a bread.  I can still feel the sensation inside my throat. It's not painful but just a sensation of something stuck in my throat. 

Dude, did you have some cheetos, a twinkie and a microwave burrito also?  Sounds like you just got done smoking a bowl and are really hungry. 

In all seriousness, you'll probably be all right.  The feeling in your throat is just probably a little irritation and will get better with time. 

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »

Dude, did you have some cheetos, a twinkie and a microwave burrito also?  Sounds like you just got done smoking a bowl and are really hungry. 

In all seriousness, you'll probably be all right.  The feeling in your throat is just probably a little irritation and will get better with time. 
That is absolutely  hilarious bentrod  ;D , after reading this post I felt like had just had a bowl , I couldn't stop laughing .....not that I don't feel for every one that this happens to but to me sounds like a severe case of the munchies  ;D ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »

Good to hear you dislodged the bone from your throat , hope it doesn't get caught up on the exit end .

Nitram4891

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »

Bread has always worked for me.

CohoKiller5

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

Yeah you probably tore or cut the esophogus a little but.  Might take 4 - 6 days to feel normal again.  I had that happen when i ate subway chicken that had a bone in it.  Even days and days afterwards it was very hard and painfull  for me to swallow.

Good luck!

Fishmaster J

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Done it a thousand times!!  Small ones no prob  but had some irritation from bigger ones a couple times.  Drink a case of beer and it should go away soon...