Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do You Like To Eat Fish?  (Read 14500 times)

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
Re: Do You Like To Eat Fish?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »

I enjoy all pacific salmon.Don't care for Atlantic though.I agree with using soy, another good addition to smoked salmon brine is thick teriaki.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

fish_on

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »

Recently my buddy from Singapore visited and brought us fresh curry powder as well as curry paste - all prepackaged in variety of flavours: for fish, chicken and meat.

Since nobody mentioned about curry fish in this thread, here is one for you to try. Last week my wife cooked the white spring that I brought home last Friday, in the fish flavour curry paste. Here's her recipe: diced garlic, diced ginger, sliced one onion in boiled olive oil. Stirred for a couple of minutes, then add curry paste and 4 oz of water. Stirred the mixture for 2 more minutes. Add 4 chunks (steak size) of dressed salmon. Cover for 10 minutes and stirring once a while. Then add two potatoes (cut each potatoe into 4 pieces). Cooked for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

Yum yum. the best ever! So give it a try.

troutmuncher

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 12:30:24 AM »

;D Yum yum trout lightly breaded pan fry my favourite.Guess thats why im a troutmuncher.

skunked

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »

nothing like a well done panfried kokanee

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »

I am not a big fan of fish other than it smoked. The only other way is halibut or cod as fish n chips.

I keep enough salmon for it to be smoked. ( I pretty much have enough already might grab a couple coho and chum as well ) and still have plenty of halibut in the freezer. Other than a couple more coho and chum I will be strictly C&R.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

We always hear negative remarks about white chinooks, especially those from the Vedder River.
I seldom keep any as I usually am able to catch a fair number of coho to satisfy our needs.

This week I kept a bright hen so tonight I would check out the table fair.

I fried a fillet in butter, I also added in some diced onion and a few slices of field ripened tomatoes from Spences Bridge and sprinkled in some pepper and salt. Well it was just great, nothing bad I could say about it.

So if you like fish there is certainly nothing wrong with taking a bright white chinook home even though they have that strong smell the taste may pleasantly surprise you.

For those that do not like fish stick to your steaks and roasts but donot forget, a few serving of fish each week are good for your health and should give you many more years of fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Fish is good for the health. Cooking it in butter however is not ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"

coyote spooner

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

I recently tried cold smoking a white spring.  It turned out great.  Besides the bad smell when you catch them, they make for good eating.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »

We always hear negative remarks about white chinooks, especially those from the Vedder River.
I seldom keep any as I usually am able to catch a fair number of coho to satisfy our needs.

This week I kept a bright hen so tonight I would check out the table fair.

I fried a fillet in butter, I also added in some diced onion and a few slices of field ripened tomatoes from Spences Bridge and sprinkled in some pepper and salt. Well it was just great, nothing bad I could say about it.

So if you like fish there is certainly nothing wrong with taking a bright white chinook home even though they have that strong smell the taste may pleasantly surprise you.

For those that do not like fish stick to your steaks and roasts but donot forget, a few serving of fish each week are good for your health and should give you many more years of fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Fish is good for the health. Cooking it in butter however is not ;)
I was wondering when someone would pick up on the butter thing. ;D ;D

I donot smoke or drink alcohol so I should be OK? :-\

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

You had to know it was going to be me right lol

Of course you will be ok but at your age I would get your cholesterol levels checked from time to time. What I tell everyone is everything in moderation. Some people smoother their foods in butter, salt, thick sauces etc etc. Just use them as a treat and not everyday or every meal and you well be fine.

Oh and here is a good hint. Fat free cooking spray instead of oils and butter in the pan. All my stir fry's are done with the fat free cooking sprays. Also try prawns in a stir fry instead of chicken or beef you will love it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Fishmaster J

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »

Whites are just fine for almost any salmon recipe.  Always keep 1 or 2 chrome fatties each year from the vedder.  Usually bbq a big fillet fresh when I get home,  vac pac the rest to smoke.

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »

Generally I don't mind white's at all as long as they're low teenagers or smaller.  On the BBQ at the end of the day with lots of scauce and you can hardly tell that they taste a little fishier than most.  However I usually let 'em go if they get bigger than 12lb or so, as I've been eating fish since I was knee high to a grasshopper (we were broke as kids) and now I'm a little picky.  But they're still plenty fun to catch!