Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do You Like To Eat Fish?  (Read 14159 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Do You Like To Eat Fish?
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »

We always hear negative remarks about white chinooks, especially those from the Vedder River.
I seldom keep any as I usually am able to catch a fair number of coho to satisfy our needs.

This week I kept a bright hen so tonight I would check out the table fair.

I fried a fillet in butter, I also added in some diced onion and a few slices of field ripened tomatoes from Spences Bridge and sprinkled in some pepper and salt. Well it was just great, nothing bad I could say about it.

So if you like fish there is certainly nothing wrong with taking a bright white chinook home even though they have that strong smell the taste may pleasantly surprise you.

For those that do not like fish stick to your steaks and roasts but donot forget, a few serving of fish each week are good for your health and should give you many more years of fishing. ;D ;D ;D

gman

Re: Do You Like To Eat Fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »

I agree, a bright Vedder white spring is ok to eat. Its just not nearly  as good as coho, sockeye or red spring, so I rarely keep one. I have served them side by side, and some people (generally those that don;t like salmon too much) prefer the white spring.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:03:11 PM »

For those that do not like fish stick to your steaks and roasts but donot forget, a few serving of fish each week are good for your health and should give you many more years of fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Salmon is a good source of Omega 3 fats along with herrings, mackerels and sardines. Dietitians recommend 2-3 servings a week.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »

I just reheated ten white spring strips that I fried yesterday in the oven and they tasted even better than yesterday. ;D

Salmon is a good source of Omega 3 fats along with herrings, mackerels and sardines. Dietitians recommend 2-3 servings a week.

Go easy on the tuna, or you'd be a walking thermometer. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »

How do you catch yourTuna? In Walmart? ;D ;D

Fisherama

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:57 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone else is the same way, but I love eating fish, all fish, cooked (or uncooked) in all different ways.  But I have a hard time eating fish that I catch myself, feeling as though we somehow shared a moment on the river... until i killed it :'(.  I agree that white springs on the vedder taste fantastic! But the initial smell kinda throws you off, especially after a couple of months in the freezer.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone else is the same way, but I love eating fish, all fish, cooked (or uncooked) in all different ways.  But I have a hard time eating fish that I catch myself, feeling as though we somehow shared a moment on the river... until i killed it :'(.  I agree that white springs on the vedder taste fantastic! But the initial smell kinda throws you off, especially after a couple of months in the freezer.
You have a good point as I often feel the same way but if you like to eat fresh fish it is better to catch your own instead of supporting the fish farm industry or buying them from the ..............'s

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

Oh you guys.. Do what my daughter do..

Ohh, you cute fish, are you hurt....  WHACK, okay I just put you out of your misery.  Dad when's dinner?  ;D ;)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »

Yup I always keep a few crome whites. I smoke half and BBQ the other.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fisherama

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »

Oh you guys.. Do what my daughter do..

Ohh, you cute fish, are you hurt....  WHACK, okay I just put you out of your misery.  Dad when's dinner?  ;D ;)

nice! If I never have boys, I hope to have a daughter like yours ;)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:25:51 PM »

I met a father and daughter at Lafarge Lake. The father was trying hard to catch a fish. He just managed to catch a small bull head looking thing (I think is a fresh water sculpine). The daugher, a grown lady, kept on murmuring to the father that he was being cruel to the fish and question why he wanted to fish. Poor guy. Father & daughter spending a good time, but having ear soar indeed. It tells you how hard to hang on our fishing hobby among our non-fishing, animal/pet loving next generation.  ;D

Back to eating fish. Surely white spring done in deep fried pepper salt way is the best. It is like cod. I take it to Chinese restaurants, some of them will cook your catch for a fee. Tell them to cut it to nugget size and serve with ketchup. Oh those healthy golden fish nuggets are wonderfully tasting and delicious indeed. Who needs the Mcdonald ones?  :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:28:59 PM by Steelhawk »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »

Do I like to eat fish?

aYup! ;D
On average, at least three times a week.

My favs: sockeye, red spring, halibut, coho...

Tomorrow's dinner: BBQ-ed ocean caught red spring steaks with roasted red peppers and asparragus. Yum!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:10:08 AM »

Whites are a great smoking fish.
Replace some salt with Soya sauce to give it some colour. ;)
One of the best batches i ever did was a whitey.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »

Been fishing for 40 years but never been a great fish lover when it comes to the table.  I like fried cod but generally I like my fish like steaks e.g tuna, swordfish etc.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

Whites are a great smoking fish.
Replace some salt with Soya sauce to give it some colour. ;)
One of the best batches i ever did was a whitey.

That is the only way to go is with soya sauce. I have worked on a recipe over the years that uses soya sauce.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day