Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding rigging/setup (short floating)  (Read 3532 times)

Sinaran

Question regarding rigging/setup (short floating)
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »

ever since i started float-fishing, i've been using a sliding pencil lead under the float and before the swivel, then the leader and hook.  But I have seen some people fish with a few split shots separating from each other at equal length.  They told me that would help balance the weight transfer and hence more natural drift of the bait....  :o     
ok now, what do u guys think? which is the better way?
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Question regarding rigging/setup (short floating)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »

Use the one you caught your first fish on!

;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

I've caught fish on both systems.

Sinaran

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »

:D   yeah, i think it also depends on the water condition, does it? 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »

Really does not make much difference, in my humble opinion. In the good old days a lot of anglers used clincher weights. As far as getting a natural drift that can be important but one of the top steelhead angler on the Vedder only uses about a 6 inch leader, I believe a fish is not looking at your weight but interested in your bait. Of course you see a lot of leaders over 16 inches which is all you need while short floating the Vedder with bait, when you see leaders getting much over that it is mostly when anglers are long lining.

One tip when using a sliding weight, it is a good idea to put a stopper at your swivel as the weight sliding down onto your knot will cause it to break after a while.

James

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »

Sometimes it's nice to use splitshot weights because you can adjust the amount of weight with out having to cut and retie a different size pencil lead .
Different current speeds need different weights .
I mostly use pencil lead cause i tend to fish the same type of water most of the time , but i always carry some split shot , so i can add some extra if i think im not getting a nice drift .

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »

Its all preference. I use big chunks of lead for salmon, and when fishing for steelhead I prefer to use spilt shots as it easily allows for me to add/remove weight to fish different water.
The Bigger The Better!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »

I prefer split shot for bait (more stealth, better drift, adjustablility.) and pencil lead in rubber tubing for blades (helps blade float up and spin better).

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »

As an avid float angler, bulk shot or weights are used to get the bait down quickly to the desired depth, and for stability in rougher water.  Spread out shot allows for a slower drop of the bait through the water.  Also, when holding back with spread out shot, the bait can rise over obstacles in the water.  Once past the obstacle, let the float go at the speed of the current and the bait will drop again. 

Mind you, of all the anglers I've seen on the Vedder, most are using large shot such as AAAs spread 9-12ins apart.  It looks ungainly and I'm not quite sure whether it will give the right effect.  Much better to use more smaller shot on the line spread "shirt-button" style.  This works really well on calmer flowing water.  It is a style used extensively in the UK to seach through the water column for fish which rise up to the bait (due to constant loose feeding).  If the fish are holding on the bottom, then I would suggest a bulk weight about 15-18ins off the bottom and maybe one dropper is more effective.

mmmroe

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

I agree its preference (i use splitties) with split shots you can separate them or stack them.....for me it depends on the flow of the run......i stack them in quicker runs while separate them in the slower moving pools.....my 2 cents

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »

here's a tip for you... crimp the pencil lead on a short looped line through the eye of the swivel...  That way if your lead does get snagged, you can pull and the line just lets go, and you keep your float and hook. 

square tail

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »

jonny very nice tip and cheers never thought of this seen a guy hook 13 springs last monday using a rig like this but he would not hit bottom just floating through the water current cheers
the tug is the drug

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »

i use pencil lead for springs and usually steelhead, it gets the bait down to the fish quick in the big current. I like leaving it sliding on the line, since i dont get hung up to often i dont really worry about it. Split does give u a more natural drift, but it takes away from your feel, because u cant hold back as much, u NEED to dead drift, so all u have is the float as an indicator instead of u feeling the bite.

they both have there pros and cons, but i still like pencil lead better. especially cus there is way less hassle
Fish killer 101

tooler91

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »

Another method a buddy of mine uses is by tying a short (6") piece of 12 pound leader on his swivel and sliding hollow core pencil lead on it. Crimp it at both ends.

You can still cut off lead if you have too much and if it does get caught on the weight, you stand a better chance of keeping our float and lure when that weaker leader line breaks.