Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison River  (Read 4103 times)

Swanny

Harrison River
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the Harrison is not talked about as much as the Vedder/Chilliwack for fall salmon fishing. I have never been there, but have heard it is just as good. Is the Harrison harder to get to? Any insight would help.

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Harrison River
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

Harrison River is less discussed due to its limited shore access. Most of the river is accessed by boats. Its fall salmon fishery is also made up of three main target species - Chinook salmon, coho salmon and chum salmon. Between late fall and early spring, it also offers a coastal cutthroat trout and bull trout fishery.

We did a trip with Randy at Ultimate Sportfishing last year. Here is a report, which gives you an idea what this fishery is like:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16161.0

Swanny

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »

Thanks Rodney,
Would you recommend fishing the Harrison in early Oct. if someone had a boat? Or would the better experience come from the Vedder? Just trying to plan a trip with some buddies.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »

The salmon runtimes for both rivers are fairly similar. Harrison has a slightly later run. The fishing techniques used are slightly different. Most anglers flyfish or spincast on the Harrison River, while float fishing is the primary method used on the Chilliwack River. Different experiences can be had on both rivers, one isn't necessarily better than the other. It depends on what you are looking for.

Swanny

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »

Thanks for the info Rodney  :)

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:34:32 PM »

I have a 15Hp on a 14ft aluminum and would love to explore some areas in the harrison river, is anybody able to give me some tips on where to launch and some waters I might explore, Equipment I have availabe to me is a 10ft Salmon rod with baitcaster reel, 5wt,7wt,8wt fly rod setups with various lines i would probably use my 8wt because its the best rod I have. Im just looking for the best boat launch to use along with some areas I might explore the waters in my waders once I arrive?

Any help would be great and much appreciated,

Anybody who knows some good spots is welcome to a boatride there as well, Let me know,

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:55:32 PM by BOWHUNTER »

Paulo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »

You can launch at Kilby and run upstream from there. $5 bucks for launch and park. The 8 weight is the way to go. Spoons and spinners work well for all species of salmon in the Harrison. Good Luck.

Sandhead

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »

never been upstream of kilby by boat. But heard its really skinny water in parts. Might be a good idea to go slow and have someone upfront keeping a watch.

Always wanted to go upstream, but with a 18 foot aluminum with a deep V not sure its a safe bet. Anyone able to shed some light?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »

Im definately going to be taking it slow with a guy right up front and as well, I am as well interested to know where abouts i may run into trouble,

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:47:16 PM »

I have a 14' inflatable with a 25hp 2-stroke.  It has a soft bottom (inflatable keel), aluminum floors, large tubes that sit high on the water and a short shaft motor.   I was planing on trying it on the Harrison this fall for whites and coho.  I'd like to know if you guys think it's doable and if there are any areas to avoid. 

Swanny

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »

The salmon runtimes for both rivers are fairly similar. Harrison has a slightly later run. The fishing techniques used are slightly different. Most anglers flyfish or spincast on the Harrison River, while float fishing is the primary method used on the Chilliwack River. Different experiences can be had on both rivers, one isn't necessarily better than the other. It depends on what you are looking for.

When does the Harrison start getting productive? And does this river get crowded as well? Thanks

chum dad

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

I have a 15' aluminum with a 30 horse, i have the same concerns as Eagleye. I have heard that the mouth of the Harrison is to be avoided, anyone have any input on that?

lovetofish

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »

There can be a shallow bar right where the Harrison and Fraser meet. We have a 14 foot aluminum with a 30 hp on it and we have gone up the Harrison a few times without problems. A fish finder is helpful for depth. Just don't try it at high speed as others have cautioned.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:40 PM »

When does the Harrison start getting productive? And does this river get crowded as well? Thanks

Note the date of the report I posted earlier in this thread. Most Fraser Valley streams will be productive by mid October. Yes, it is also quite heavily used, with boats.