Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leafs cleaning house  (Read 4547 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Leafs cleaning house
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »

Cliff Fletcher is really cleaning house in TO

1) Put Andrew Raycroft (no surprise here) and Kyle Wellwood on waivers

2) Gave Montreal exclusive rights to negotiate with Mats Sundin til July 1st

3) Buy out the remaining years of Darcy Tucker's contract.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:09:53 AM by Fish Assassin »

Abner

Re: Leafs cleaning house
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »

It is about time they did something to shake up their team a bit. I would have thought they would try and keep Wellwood though. Isn't he one of their better young players? Mats and Tucker are getting a little long in the tooth and need to be put on the shelf. They were both great players in thier roles but they have gotten a bit "stale" in TO.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »

Nucks picked up Wellwood on waivers today and only time will tell if this is a good move. :-\
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

He should change his name to Knockonwood......which is probably what he should do every time he gets on the ice.....he's so injury prone!

Abner

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »

He should be fine in Vancouver, isn't only the defence man who get hurt and Morrison of course ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »

I personally don't think Wellwood is going to be the "fit" we're after.  Grit was supposed to be what the team was after....he may have the skills BUT he is the total opposite of grit.  I mean how many players in the NHL have played their last two seasons in the NHL and haven't gotten a SINGLE penalty minute?  He didn't get a single penalty in his last year of Junior either where the clutching and grabbing was so rampant back when he played it was hard for a skilled player not to lose his head ONCE in awhile and retaliate.

Guys my son played with in junior who played with him or knew about him said he was the weakest player on the team when strength testing was done....struggled to bench his own weight even once!  He avoided the weight room.....that's probably the reason he's gettting injured.   His body can't hold up to the rigors of an 82+ game schedule.  I mean ask yourself...if the Leafs don't want him for God's sake what does that say about him??

If the Nuks sign him it better be a 2 way contract.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »

Grit was supposed to be what the team was after....he may have the skills BUT he is the total opposite of grit.  I mean how many players in the NHL have played their last two seasons in the NHL and haven't gotten a SINGLE penalty minute?  He didn't get a single penalty in his last year of Junior either where the clutching and grabbing was so rampant back when he played it was hard for a skilled player not to lose his head ONCE in awhile and retaliate.

That's amazing. He should have won the Lady Byng :D

Newtown

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:54:35 AM »

Looks like the Leafs are also trying very hard to get rid of McCabe.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241720

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »

Leafs signed Curtis Joseph to a 1 year contract. He should be a great help; 41 years old. ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »

oh well the leafs are rebuilding... the nucks... well they are flirting with weaklings and band aids.. not to mention the reported 10 mill they offered sundin... yup there really looking good.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27:36 AM »

Going to be interesting to see whether Sundin can resist the $10 million per season. Sounds like the Mark Messier saga again.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »

Not worth it as far as I am concerned.  Sundin is an excellent hockey player and I would welcome him to the Nucks, but not at $10m.  Spend it more wisely Gillis.

Marsman

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »

Wellwood could be one of the biggest steals since Naslund from Pitts.  This year he has to perform as next year he is a RFA.  He will want to get a good contract so he has to perform to get it.  I call that he will get 60-70 points this year if he has some talet to play with.

Cheers, Rob