Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping Trip * NEW PICS ADDED * (May take some time to read + LOTS of pics)  (Read 3966 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer

Hey all....

I told Chris along with a few others that I might post some reports while on my camping trip. We left on the 26th, our destination would be Bend, Oregon. Started out at the first campsite which was in Washington. We satyed there for 2 days. There were 2 lakes nearby, Wenatche lake and Fish Lake. I needed to try out the new float tube so I decided that I would try the smaller, less intimidating Fish Lake. I ended up only catching a very small 6 inchish Bass (1st one ever) but saw lots of fish jumping and knew of a lot of 4-5 pnd trout being caught in the past few days. First time in the tube was interesting, gonna take some getting use to I guess  ;)

Lake at campground (no fishing aloud  :( )

My new float tube on Fish Lake

We left Washington and started the 7 hour drive to Bend. Caught some interesting things on film, including the hundreds of windmills that must have covered a good 50 miles at least  :o We finally arrived in Bend at around 3 or 4 and set up camp.

Windmills

More Windmills

Crossing the Columbia River

The next day was our first full day in Bend. We hit the lava butte (lots of hand-feeding chimpmunks), the obsedian flows, paulina waterfall, and the paulina peak. From the peak you could see for hundreds of miles around and I got some decent pics of the nearby lakes, Paulina Lake and East Lake. Paulina lake has brown trout up to 28 pounds but you have to fish 80 + feet deep and all I have with me is the fly rod so I went to the nearest tackle shop and asked what flies to use and where to go, I was told to hit a couple rivers, the Fall River and the Crooked River. The Fall river and the Deschutes are both close to the campground but the Crooked river is quite a ways away so I probably won't be hitting it.

Chipmunk eating cinnamin toast crunch  ;D  (Lava Butte)

Lookout at top of hill (Lava Butte)

Crater in middle on mountain (Lava Butte)

Looking over Valley + crater (Lava Butte)

Cool Obsedian Swirl (Obsedian Flow)

Lonesome Tree (Obsedian Flow)

Paulina Lake (Obsedian Flow)

Paulina Falls

Paulina Peak - Paulina Lake on Left, East Lake on Right

The second full day we were here we hit a few more landmarks. We went to the high destert museum (some sweet pics from there) and we also hit the lava river caves. I got to also do my first real fishing (and catching  ;)) of the trip at the Falls River. Was there for a couple hours and landed a few nice trout with quite a few that hit the fly and didn't stick and about 3 lost (due to barbless hook only of course  ;D).

Just to Tease ya ( 6 inches of water) High Desert Museum, around 2 pnds

For all you Sturgeon Lovers (High desert Museum)

Time to Count.... (All fish 1-3 pnds)

Just a few more (High Desert Museum)

Otter  :D (High Desert Museum)

Smile for the camera  ;D (High Desert Museum)

Turtle, my fav pic (High Desert Museum)

Part of the cave

They had to crawl to get through... I had to squirm  (Lava River Caves)

Some supernatural activity  :o

First trout of the trip (Falls River) Around 10 inches  :D

Second trout of the night... smaller around 8 inches

We are now late in the third day here. We didnt do too much today. My mom and step-dad wanted to go golfing so we stayed at the campground until around 2:00 pm. We left the campsite and they dropped me off at the Falls River again and they went golfing. I was there from around 2:30 till 7:30 and managed to land 15 trout. Some were a pretty fair size, a couple were even what looked to be a little over a pound. I must have lost a good 20 more fish, one of which was probably pretty close to 4 or 5 pounds (yes I have witnesses  ;)) The biggest one I hooked, along with a few others took a very weird fly that I don't even know what it is (one my step-dad tied back when he use to tie flies). Most of the fish were taken on a nymph. It is pretty cool here because you can cast 3 feet upstream and watch your fly drift in front of the fish and then watch the fish sip the fly in. Many times I had them sip the fly but they would spit it out to fast for a hook set. The best flies of the day were nymphs (bunch of diff types I dont know), doc spratleys, and a shrimp pattern. I also used that one very weird dry fly which produced around 6 fish hooked and 3 landed.

Fish 1 (no nose!  :o  Obviously fish don't need their upper lip  ::)) Nymph

Fish 3 - A little bit bigger (use nymph in nose for relative size, nymph is 1/2 inch long)

Fish 5 - A little bigger again (same nymph)

Fish 9 - Doc Spratley's work too  ;)

Fish 13 - Biggest one I landed this trip, lost one about 4-5 pnds on same fly  :o :'(  (CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT FLY THIS IS  ???)

Went to a lake called hosmer Lake today. Its the only lake on the west coast stocked with Atlantic salmon. Tried fishing it for around 3 hours and got a big rainbow (~4) to bite that weird dry fly again. I lost it after a breif fight because I had too much slack on my line  :'(  Nothing doin for the Atlantic's but had a few more hits and misses on the olive wolly bugger and 1 more attempt at that dry fly again. Gotta learn how to tie flies so I can make a new one  ;)

Hopefully you enjoyed my report, leaving tomorrow morning for the oregon coast and then back home  ;)  Fishing was fun, not sure if there will be any more on the way back, but one can only hope  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:33:26 PM by Every Day »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Camping Trip (May take some time to read + LOTS of pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »

Cool! 8)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »

Some good pictures you have there, I thought you said there was some great summer steelhead fishing to be had?
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »

Some good pictures you have there, I thought you said there was some great summer steelhead fishing to be had?

There is... just farther down river and parents don't want to drive  :'(
I'll try to quickly squeeze a few more pics in right now  8)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

Looks and sounds like an awesome trip!  Good for you. 

Love the obsidian swirl.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's

Cool read and sweet pics! Thanks for sharing.