Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fresh roe  (Read 4508 times)

greese308

Re: Fresh roe
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »

any curing recipes would be much appreciated.  i know some think they should never share their secrets but why not.  it will get others out of "your spot" sooner (theoretically).

i have always butchered my roe unfortunately but love fishing good roe.  there is nothing like it.

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Fresh roe
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »

I have tried dozens of recipe's, store bought and professional pre made roe.  So far, my favorite is the pautzke's fire cure.  Remember, you have to start with fresh, blood free roe.  I butterfly the skein, then cut it into semi small chunks.  I'll then layer it in a jar with liberally applied amounts of cure.  Let stand for several hours.  When it gets really juicy pour a little off and put in fridge.  Turn jar upside down frequently to allow juices to get all the way through.  Do this for the most part of 24-36 hours.  Then lay out on paper towels in a cool place to harden to your liking.  sprinkle borax on them to handle then cut down to fishable chunks.  put them back in jar with borax and pack full and top off with borax.  you're then good to go.