Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to put line on a reel spool backwards?  (Read 6008 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Is it possible to put line on a reel spool backwards?
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »

I just got my trout reel re-spooled for the cultus lake derby and instead of reeling in line... Im reeling out line. Guess Im gonna need to find another reel. If there are any ways to fix this, besides taking off all the line please let me know asap. Thanks.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Is it possible to put line on a reel spool backwards?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:04:45 PM »

What kind of reel are you talking about?
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »

Spinning reel I would bet

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

Yea spinning reel.... And I did manage to fix it, had to take all the line off (which was a pain, took forever) and reel it back in because it was on spool backwards, thanks for trying to help!

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

How much line did they put on your spool  150yds or more
and what size line ???
was it cheaper than buying the line and putting it on yourself

I can see it being cheaper for a level wind reel with a big line capacity for fish that will take you on a big run

For a spinner reel
I would use backing then good line
If you use good line to fill your spool you never get to use the last 75yds or so as it gets hard to cast without a full spool of line
Just a suggestion
I am sure some of the guys on here have other ideas too

So here is a question for all
How much unused line(never made it past the guides while fishing) do you throw away ???
Or do you reuse it for leaders etc

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:48 PM »

I keep any snippets i have for mono eyes, tippet and tripwires.

Easiest way to get reel off your line fast is to find an empty field, tie your line to somebody (like a younger brother or sister) and get them to run away from you.  Just yell "keep going" until you're out of line.....then, when you're out, retie, and reel them in. Easy.

I used backing in the past on a couple of spinning reels....but my feeling is the less knots the better.  Flyfishing you can't avoid it, but i wish you could.  Knots are where 90% of your breaks will happen so minimizing them is important.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »

I have put Dacron backing on most of my reels, this way I can add a topshot of mono to suit my conditions.

After experimenting with lots of joiner knots, I settled on glued Bimini loops in both ends with a three twisted loop to loop connector. It's more of a blue water type setup but very strong, and with the three wraps, even if one of the loop strands break the line will still hold. And I can undo the sections with ease.

For lighter setups, I like the improved Albright, and back to back Nail knot, or back to back Uni if I have no nail tool with me.

I agree, no sense in throwing out half or more of your mono each time you respool.

JoshGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »

I double use my mono seeing as I usually use the expensive stuff I feel it's a waste not to flip it. When it starts to get worn I tie it to something next to someone and go for a jog with my rod. Once it's out I get them to cut the line and we straighten it the best we can (I do cut a bunch off if it look bad or damaged). The best way to straighten it I have found is to drop the rod, grab a damp cloth and run from spool to end with the line pinched inside. Then I go back to where they are, re-attach that end to the spool and wind it in (keeping tension on) and end up with (usually) worry free brand new line. I've done it twice and never had a problem. This way I get to use the unused end and unspool it to gets rid of all the twists.

Hope this helps!

Josh
-JoshGuy!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »

Yes it is very possible to put line on a spinning reel backwards. Between high school and university I worked in the sporting goods dept of the local Canadian Tire. We had a line spooling machine and, before I got the hang of it, I spooled some customers lines on backward. One guy was out in the boat when he discovered it :( He came back into the store none to happy.

The best part of the job: fishing gear at cost plus 10%!