Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Misinformatoin on single barbed hook in freshwater lakes  (Read 2180 times)

troutmuncher

Misinformatoin on single barbed hook in freshwater lakes
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:39:17 AM »

There seems to be stuff written about that only single barbless hooks are only allowed in the regulations for all the freshwater lakes in BC.This is not true.Yes ,there is select lakes stipulated for the barbless single hook designation but many lakes are permissable to use a single barbed hook.Just be carefull to check the specific lake regs for that lake.Wish people would get there facts straight.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Misinformatoin on single barbed hook in freshwater lakes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

If you use a single barbless hook whenever your fishing lakes then you don't have to worry about the innuendo. Just my 2 cents. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

add my 2c to your 2c.   

Now 4c towards single barbless hook :)

troutmuncher

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:57:19 AM »

I would also like to exercise my freedom to use the barbed single hook in freshwater lakes wherever it's legal and possible to use. Yes there are such lakes specifically selected with the barbless single hook designation listed by the name of that lake in the regulations, of which I do not object to.  But what I do object to is being intimidated or mislead by certain environmentalist types or of the fish Gestapo.  I dislike to cower in fear, debarbing the hook where its legal to have the barb just to feel safe
otherwise Ill be unable to enjoy fishing anymore.I hope that much better clarification finally resolves this in the future so we could all fish with a certain peace of mind that we all need .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:19:36 AM by troutmuncher »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »

Hey if you need a barb on it to catch a fish , go ahead :)    Im kidding, im kidding.

Barbs are great for kids too, good luck getting a kid to bring in a fish without one unless they've had a bit of practice.

I don't think its about people being fish gestapo as you put it.  I use barbless for personal reasons.  I like to release the fish as soon as possible after landing it, with a barbed hook, you damage the mouth and it is far more difficult to remove.  Barbless has become both a matter of convenience and conservation for me.

If you want to use barbed hooks on a put and take lake, go for it, barbs were made so people could easily bring fish in without losing them.  If you're going to catch and release though it really is FAR easier to release a fish without a barb....so for selfish reasons it should be considered too :)

I hope you're not losing sleep over it.....sounds like you may have had a run-in with somebody about it??