Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: white spring smoking?  (Read 10709 times)

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
white spring smoking?
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:12:28 PM »

ive ended up with the opportunity to smoke a white spring jack about 5-6lbs
my pink smoking went well with a very simple recipie
but im wondering if there is anything out of the ordinary when it comes to this little whittie
anything special to consider ???

tia  cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

No_way

Re: white spring smoking?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 01:31:59 AM »

No, not that I know of.  But then again I've never met a smoked fish I didn't like!  ;D

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »

Brown suger in the brine!!!!then after you dry it before it goes in the smoker put more brown suger and honey paste on it!!! :P :P ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:25:31 PM »

The biggest difference with smoking white spring compared to other salmon is the oiliness of it. The bigger white springs are very oily. The smaller Jacks are not as oily as the big ones, but they are still oiler than the other salmon species.
I make sure I dab the oil off of the salmon pieces while they are smoking or you will end up with very oil covered smoked salmon.
When I smoke a white, I dap the meat around 5 times while smoking. If you like a drier smoked fish, the white will take noticably longer to smoke than the other salmon species.
All in all, I love the taste of White Spring smoked. Also watch the amount of salt you use in your brine. The White Spring will usually taste saltier than the other salmons.

Good Luck!! :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 10:33:01 AM »

I find you need to slice the fillet into thin chunks (1.5-2 inches wide max) otherwise I notice the thick pieces can rot before they get smoked thru. 

My dad and I did one batch inparticular and the flesh next to the skin was soft and mushy and smelled skunky.  :-X  It was a big fish (30lbs) and the fillets were 2 inches thick.  I dont think the brine penetrated the wider strips and they were too thick to smoke fullty thru so they rotted on the racks  :-[

we have since learned and the smoked white I am eating with my coworkers right now is getting big thumbs up from all.

Something new I tried on this fish was I put an entire lemon minced up into the brine.  It gave the fish a very faint hint of lemon which was nice. 

Coincidentaly, one of my coworkers who thinks previous batches of my smoked salmon were too fishy ( for her personal taste) say this white is the best SS she has ever had so maybe the lemon cuts down on the fishy oils in a big ole whitey?!?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 03:34:46 PM »

If you want you can cut the fillests really thin and make salmon jerkey....VERY TASTY
weeeeeeeeeow!

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:54:50 PM »

ah thats how you make salmon jerky, i will give that a try.
My hands smell like fish again.............

boscheefish

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »

do you still use the same recipie for the jerky as you would use for the smoking?
thanks
long live the vedder

boscheefish

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

also, do you find when smoking white spring, is it better to take the skin off or leave it on

thanks
long live the vedder