Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinion Requested: Best 8/9wt Reel  (Read 7129 times)

Zpg

Opinion Requested: Best 8/9wt Reel
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »

I am replacing my 8/9wt reel and want to buy one that I will never want to replace again. Price is not an issue. I am thinking about the Islander LX3.8 or LX4.0 but would love to hear some other opinions/suggestions/experiences and thoughts. The reel will be used in both salt and some rivers for salmon.

TIA
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Opinion Requested: Best 8/9wt Reel
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »

I own a LX 3.8. As Don Cherry would say: "It's a beauty"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »

I really like my Lamson ...they make a slick reel.  Very light too.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »

I own a LX 3.8. As Don Cherry would say: "It's a beauty"

Can't go wrong with these.....I have some of the LA's, as well......smooth as silk!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »

only one name besides tibor for saltwater BILLY PATE, one of the best reels for the money.

Sandhead

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »

if price were no issue it (unfortnately it is) i'd be looking at either a islander or Sage 3000 series. Ive always like the way the Sage's have looked and  the few opportunities that i've had to test them out they have performed very well. But the islander is a work of art
Ain't no HO like a COHO

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »

I have a sage 3000 series reel and I won't be buying one again.  They are just OK for the money.

Sandhead

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:57:52 AM »

I have a sage 3000 series reel and I won't be buying one again.  They are just OK for the money.

Very interested in knowing more....
Ain't no HO like a COHO

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

Ya, about the sage, it's the drag really that is my biggest gripe.  I find that it isnt as adjustable as I want it to be and I think the strength of the plastic on the clicker is crap.  I've been through one already and my reel is only a couple of years old.  Its a decent reel but for the money like I say I prefer my lamson, it just feels a lot smoother. 

The sage isn't a bad reel by a long shot but they are expensive. 

Zpg

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »

Thanks for the input guys!

I think I have narrowed the decision to 3 (might consider the Hayden if it can be serviced locally).

Abel Super 9
Nautilus NV 8/9
Tibor Everglades

I am going to shop around on Monday and see how these reels feel. Unfortunately there is nobody that I can find that stocks the Tibor, even though there are 4 authorized dealers here >:(
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »

Nice reels....don't think you can go wrong with any. 

While we're talking about islanders....what do you guys think about cork disc drags vs the click pawl ones they use?  Anyone have both and prefer one or the other?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

I like click pawl because it is super reliable, but it doesn't give much drag...  Also has that added bonus of letting all your nearby fisher know when you're into a big fish  ;)

Cork is nice and smooth and I like it... So far I haven't had any problems with dirt or salt affecting their drag performance, but its only been a year or so...

I also have a reel with a sprag clutch in it, and although its a good idea, its REALLY unpredictable with the tiniest amount of dirt inside, so I don't trust it for big fish.

*Should add that I don't own any islander reels, as I am a poor grad student, and cannot afford such luxuries yet.  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:32:59 PM by Jonny 5 »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »

Yeah I'm sort of skeptical about cork as a lasting product....i had one disintegrate on me this last year (which was replaced on warranty)....there was literally NOTHING but a few 1mm bits left in the guts of the reel...no cork disc to be seen.  All cork is not created equal i suppose.  Thats a big issue with my sage, not enough drag on the click pawl.....curious if that is what the islanders are like as well.

bee tee

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »

Unless the cork used on the drag was inferior to begin with , usually the only reason you should ever have problems with cork is when the cork has completely dried out . I treat my cork disks once a year with a little neatsfoot oil , and have never had any problems . I`ve got an Abel 3n which is nearing 20 years old , and the drag works as good as the day it was bought .

Another reel to consider is http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=startsida&lang=en

Or , save yourself some money and buy a used Penn . They`re heavy , but bombproof .

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

It was a 2yr old dragonfly kamloops MC.  Apparently they had a "bad run of cork".  I cleaned my reel after the first 5 or 6 outings and i always gave it a freshwater rinse after salt use. 

I think they are using composite discs now in them.  The replacement one seems ok so far.