Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying Fluorocarbon ??  (Read 19921 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Tying Fluorocarbon ??
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

Flouro is virtually invisible so you can get by with a stronger tippet section. When I read about people using 6x or 7x tippet  I shake my head.

Fluouo is pretty invisible above the surface, as well, and super strong, too.  Not the greatest pic since I had to take the shot while playing the object in the foreground to the boat (notice the crease in the neck) and the gasping for breath.  Eventually broke me off at the boat after playing him in from a 100' out.  This is the 7th time it's happen to me in the last 2 years!!  This may sound like a testament for Froghair leader but anytime you can play a 15 lb. loon into the boat with 6 lb. test line...well.... that's why it's my choice for tippet material.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 11:29:37 AM »

Flouro is virtually invisible so you can get by with a stronger tippet section. When I read about people using 6x or 7x tippet  I shake my head.

Fluouo is pretty invisible above the surface, as well, and super strong, too.  Not the greatest pic since I had to take the shot while playing the object in the foreground to the boat (notice the crease in the neck) and the gasping for breath.  Eventually broke me off at the boat after playing him in from a 100' out.  This is the 7th time it's happen to me in the last 2 years!!  This may sound like a testament for Froghair leader but anytime you can play a 15 lb. loon into the boat with 6 lb. test line...well.... that's why it's my choice for tippet material.

How to get the loons away from your areas? I have watched them chase fish away from patterns many times? Anybody got any good ideas without killing them?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »

Hook them obviously  ::)  ;D  maybe bring some bait fish with you and throw them the other way lol  ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »

It never fails to amaze me how lazy the loons are my lake!  You'd think they could get their own fish.  As hard as I try to release the fish without them swimming them down and catching them they still get 4-5 a day.  They plague me to the point of total frustration!  >:( I'll say one thing about loons....they are one tough bird.  I've hit them with my oar as they've submarined past me under the boat, beaned them with a sling shot, reeled them into the boat 7 times in the last 2 years and it doesn't seem to phase them.....ahhhh!  I hate them with a passion!

Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love wildlife but these buggers have ruined my fishing soooo many times.! They are very much like seals.  You get into a number of fish...they show up and buzz the area and scare all the fish away!  It's the fact that these loons have young ones that they need extra food for and it always seems that the pair on our lake always gives birth to two offsprings.  I was so tempted this year to switch out their eggs with hard boiled hen eggs in hopes that they would leave it too late to lay another pair of them.

Another lake I fish frequently only has one loon on it and he (or she) does not pester me at all.  Thank God they'll be gone in another few  weeks!  :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »

Is there a hunting season for loons lol.  ;D  Im guessing not, but I would suggest a 22  ;)  Maybe you could try blow darts, no one would even know  ;D