Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying Fluorocarbon ??  (Read 19919 times)

BOWHUNTER

Tying Fluorocarbon ??
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »

My Questions layed out as follows

What is the best way to tie on a light fluorocarbon leader I have been able to use my 7lb fluoro with no problem but anytime I have tried to work with 4lb I struggle to tie knots, it always breaks when i pull test it,?  I guess my diameters are too far apart for surgeons knots? I was trying from 8lb mono to 4lb fluoro

Does anybody feel that 4lb fluoro is needed or would a 6 or 7 lb be good enough for even the clearest of lakes?

What knots should I be using on a regular basis to tie my leader to my tippets how do most people out there take care of this?

What knots do you like to use and why?

Any tips tricks?

BOWHUNTER

Re: Tying Fluorocarbon ??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »

As well is everybody using fluorocarbon or do you feel the cost outweighs the benefits?

I dont go fishing enough try using mono after being told to go with fluorocarbon but is sure is expensive in comparison

Your Thoughts?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

i like a double surgeons knot to do my leader to tippet bec. its strong and quick to tie.  Blood knots are good too but I have fumbly fingers , especially when they are cold, so the double surgeon is just far easier.  For leader to fly line, I use a nail knot, substituting a loop in the flyline for the nail.  You just pull the line straight and voila!

a good tip?  Always give the knot a little spit before tightening it up.  It will snug up better and wont groove itself when you pull it tight.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »

A ligature knot is incredibly strong...it's the same knot that doctors use when finishing off putting in stitches.  Like any knot, as mentioned above, always run it through your mouth before tightening it up.  I use blood knots a lot as well.

Tinhat

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »

Just found this...may have to give it a try:

Use a Stronger Tippet Knot
by Kent Hull

You should use this knot instead of a surgeon's knot, especially if you're using a fluorocarbon tippet. Why? Because using a surgeon's knot, any breakoff will almost always occur at the tippet knot (unless you're using a very weak hook knot). If you're using strong tippet material such as Rio, Dai-Riki or Frog's Hair, this tippet knot will let you make use of the full strength of the tippet you paid for. And if you're using fluorocarbon tippet, you don't want to break off at the tippet knot. Fluorocarbon is forever, so any broken-off tippet will be in the lake or stream for many, many years to pose a threat to wildlife. This knot is the strongest known knot for tying on a fluorocarbon tippet, and is second only to the ligature knot for nylon. In 6X tippet material, this can mean a full pound more strength than a surgeon's knot. (American Angler Vol 27 Issue 6, pP 61-64). (This Rod Tip would also have described the ligature knot if I had succeeded in learning to tie it consistently so it wouldn't slip.)

This is called the Orvis tippet knot, because it won a contest run by Orvis about fifteen years ago to discover a new and stronger knot. There are three variations, the tippet knot, a loop knot, and a hook knot. In this example, the leader is to the left (red) and the tippet is to the right (blue).

Overlap the ends about four inches. (Figure 1) Holding the two lines on the leader (left) side, form a loop as shown in Figure 2. This is important: in these knots, all turns go around the same way and each turn is in a loop above the last.

Now bring the right ends (leader end and tippet body) behind the loop you formed in Figure 1, through it and up. (Figure 3) Do it again, so there are two turns of the right ends through the loop. (Figure 4)

Lubricate the knot (saliva, floatant or knot lube) and tighten by pulling the right ends and the left ends away from each other. Pull hard to seat the knot. As with all knots, properly setting the knot is essential for the knot to have full strength. You can view animated instructions for tying these knots at www.orvis.com.

Next month: The Orvis (hook) Knot and the "Lefty Kreh" loop knot. (Lefty insists he didn't invent it though he strongly recommends it, and about everyone who uses it, learned it from Practical Fishing Knots by Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin.)

Back to Table of Contents

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

Illustration ?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »

Just tried out that Orvis tippet knot by looking at the animated version on their website...pretty easy to tie and very strong....I can see why that knot won the contest they were having.  They said it was the best knot for fluorcarbon and second to the ligature for mono.  The only draw back i see is pretty lengthy tags that need to be trimmed.   When I tie blood or ligature knots I can do it so i end up with short tags so as not to waste any of the leader material.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

Here is the link for others to see this is a good section of the site.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »

I like the double sugeons knot as well. 5X is usually sufficient for all lake fishing, use 4X at most.

fish_on

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »

Since I learned to tie the Perfection Loop, I used it a lot more. It takes a bit of practice. It's has a smaller profile and strong that I like. Refer to Tinhat's link to tie on the PL. I used to tie on the surgeon's loop. It's quick and easy but I have them broke off right at the knot despite wetting it before tightening.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

I'm still relatively new to fishing - especially fly fishing - and I must say - The Orvis Knot is much easier to tie than the Clinch knot I was using before.

Thanks for the post.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »

hmmmm....floro....mono...is all the same to me...I tie a small barrel swivel to the leaders' end...then tie the floro or mono tippet to the swivel...never a prob with slipping knots...although I rarely use a floating line...I hook up more often subsurface...;)))

mojo
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:29:25 PM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »

hmmmm....floro....mono...is all the same to me...I tie a small barrel swivel to the leaders' end...then tie the floro or mono tippet to the swivel...never a prob with slipping knots...although I rarely use a floating line...I hook up more often subsurface...;)))

mojo

You wouldn't use fluoro for anything but subsurface fishing...it sinks like a rock compared to mono.  Mono is a lot stiffer than mono...more slippage...hence the question of what knot to use. 

When fishing chronies floating lines are the only way to go IMHO...at least until you're fishing water over 35 feet.  Just need to use a looooooong leader is all.  I have a few budds that use the swivel on their leaders and like it while others would rather use split shot or puddy.  Both methods work quite nicely to help you get the fly down to the feeding zone at a quicker rate.

parbuster

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »

I think flouro is worth the added expense. At $2 a fly these days spending a little more on a top quality line is worth every penny.

I use surgeon knots which have 100% strength you just need to remmeber with flouro you must, must, must lubricate that line before tightening that knot.

Remember that once you've made a leader you should only be replacing the tippet portion not the first 3 sections.

Flouro is virtually invisible so you can get by with a stronger tippet section. When I read about people using 6x or 7x tippet  I shake my head. Remeber tht damn fly has a piece of sheet sticking out of it's but  that a blind fish can see so why are  people worrying about the need to go ulta light on the tippet.