Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to bar fishing  (Read 1458 times)

David_R

New to bar fishing
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

So I got a rod setup for bar fishing now and tried it out yesterday. I think I may be missing some key component of the rigging, I am aiming to use spin n glos and weights off a three way swivel.  Everytime I reeled in to check on my bait/hook it came back tangled around the mainline.

setup like this   ----braided-----ooswivel with weight loopoo--------30lb leader-------Spin glo/bead/hook

Am I missing something? Should there be something in front of the spin n glo to keep it from sliding up the leader?

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: New to bar fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »

sounds like your missing a bar rig.

put a couple large beads on your leader first,then add the spinning glow... if your still getting lots of tangles with the bar rig set up like that then you should try a heavier leader as its more cable like and wont tangle as easy. i use 80lb tufline on my reel and 40-60lb leader.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

David_R

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »

Thanks guys, I guess I should just put stronger leader on... I'm using a 30lb trilene but I guess it's not stiff enough. I read over the first article before I bought all the gear but I guess wasn't paying attention to the line test they said for the leader

Zpg

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »

There was an excellent post by Mike D. about a year ago that explained bar fishing and techniques very well:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14513.msg142457#msg142457

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright