Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008  (Read 6235 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »

Perhaps McD's should try making some filet o' seal burgers. 

nineweight

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 08:47:55 AM »

arent fish, what a seal normally eats? and arent we actually interfering with the seal, ii think someone should, settle down a little

Seals belong in the ocean where there are lots of species of fish to eat.... any not just a couple thousand Steelhead. When they get into a system like the Vedder they could probably just wait at the mouth and clean out every fish that decides to come up..... so no we are not interfering with the seal because It DOESN'T belong in the river, it belongs in the ocean.

Did a seal tell you that they don't belong in the river?  Animals are going to congregate where there is an accessible food source.  I've seen seals in the Vedder 20 years ago, and I'm sure they have been in our local rivers well before then.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »

I've never heard of them coming up during Steelhead season though.... yes Ive seen them in the Fraser and Vedder before, trying to catch pinks and stuff but when they are chasing the relatively few Steelhead that come up the Vedder (compared to pinks, etc) I would say there is something seriously wrong with the stocks in the fraser when they need to go into smaller rivers to trap food. I caught 16 Steelies this year and 7-8 definately had seal wounds on them, some were quite fresh. When that many fish start showing up with seal bites I think that should be dealt with (maybe transport them, because someone will definately kill a seal no problem, they found one shot last year just below the hatchery). Yes I understand that comment wasn't that great (about the seals not belonging in the Vedder) but chasing hundreds of thousands pinks and springs doesnt matter, chasing, eating, and wounding the 3000-5000 Steelhead that come up the Vedder I think could have a very big impact, especially when half are showing up with marks on them. In the fraser and the ocean the problem is not as bad because the fish have a chance, but in a averagly 15 foot wide river all the seals have 2 do is sit there with their mouth open.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »

its nothing new... they come up the river quite a bit.. i see or hear of them every year.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

Perhaps McDonalds should consider a Mc Flosser Burger......seriously people...who said seals are "supposed" to be in the ocean? Do they carry little Passports with them or something? And I loved the posts about how a seal needs to be terminated if it gets into a pool where the fish are concentrated. Hello - paging Dr. Hypocrite - is that because the gong show usually likes to descend on that same pool and fish it out completely? It is an eco-system, and while we are apex predators - we are capable of making responsible decisions. Mostly. Rant over.
You don't make friends with salad.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

Wow this is interesting.... the post in the Fishing reports section that didn't even talk about catching a fish is the one that keeps re-appearing over a month later  ;) And I never said the seal was in a concentrated pool of fish  :-\.. I saw it towards the end of the day after covering A LOT of water upriver, decided to give the train bridge a try and left 5 mins later because the little bugger was chasing a school of fish up the river. That was the only day all year I fished below Lickman road... I avoided the gong show pools in my second (and first) year for Steelies, much easier to catch them when they havn't seen anything yet that day  ;) Maybe the seal was down there all year and that was why so many fish had marks on them, I dunno, you'll have to ask someone that fished down there a lot.