Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008  (Read 6236 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »

Hehe thats a complement troutbreath!  And the goalie mask thing can be said for marmots too...vicious critters when cornered.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:58:22 PM by marmot »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »

let me know if its beaver, I hunt beaver. ;D ;)

Found your beaver today at Peach Road..... ill post some pics of it 2 morrow, Im too tired to do it right now.

nosey

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »

Worlds shortest joke......."this baby seal walks into a club..........."

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »

LMAO

daver

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »

arent fish, what a seal normally eats? and arent we actually interfering with the seal, ii think someone should, settle down a little

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »

arent fish, what a seal normally eats? and arent we actually interfering with the seal, ii think someone should, settle down a little

Seals belong in the ocean where there are lots of species of fish to eat.... any not just a couple thousand Steelhead. When they get into a system like the Vedder they could probably just wait at the mouth and clean out every fish that decides to come up..... so no we are not interfering with the seal because It DOESN'T belong in the river, it belongs in the ocean.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »

Perhaps the question people should be asking is, "What's happening in the ocean that has forced seals to feed in rivers?"

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

Agreed Rodney.
always a student

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

I think the collapse of the Eulachon run has something to with it... They'd normally be in the fraser gorging on them at this time of year.

It's a real shame what is going on out there...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Seals belong in the ocean where there are lots of species of fish to eat.... any not just a couple thousand Steelhead. When they get into a system like the Vedder they could probably just wait at the mouth and clean out every fish that decides to come up..... so no we are not interfering with the seal because It DOESN'T belong in the river, it belongs in the ocean.

Where did you learn that? yea they are a pain and can endanger runs but its humans faults for the runs being at these low levels that they can be endagered. Seals are hurting runs by eating steelies and salmon in the ocean as well althought not on same impact. I can also bet that seals were following fish up river long before people came here. Its got to the point where yes something needs to be done but thinking seals are causing these problems and they dont ever belong in fresh water is kind of narrow minded.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:51:44 PM by kellya »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 12:55:47 AM »

Seals' population grows FAST.  Its food source doesn't, AND it's natural predator definitely not doing well.  So right now, those seals are growing at an uncontrolled rate.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

Nothing is happening that has "forced" seals to feed in the rivers.  Ever seen how far they go up with the pinks sometimes?  Plenty of fish everywhere, but they will still follow fish right up rivers.  I remember seeing seals up rivers back in the late 70s and 80s too.  They've been going up rivers for years and it's not always out of necessity.  Some seals follow their food in, some do not.  The problem arises when a pod of seals learns to go up a river or hang out in an estuary and ambush fish.  If it's a single seal though, even if it ate two steelhead a day, is not likely to do as much damage as the drones of fishermen that frequent the vedder.

I agree that DFO needs to do something about it, but only because fish stocks are already beat down, not because it isn't what a seal is "supposed" to do.  Localized culls vs. broader culls....who knows what would work best?  They work in and exhibit pod specific behaviors, so maybe some pods are more prone to hang out and ambush than others.  I'm not a biologist but would take an uneducated guess that if DFO culled the problem pods locally that it would provide enough respite for most of the salmon/steelies that would have been munched to move along undisturbed. 

All that said, declaring that seals "belong" in the ocean and not in rivers (especially in bold red caps) is misinformed, and really at this stage in your life you should be asking more questions than providing shoot from the hip solutions!

For anyone that doesn't know, you can be fined up to half a million and go to jail for killing a seal.  Probably worth considering....

daver

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »

seals eat fish, everyday eats Mcdonalds

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »

seals eat fish, everyday eats Mcdonalds

thats explain why they are better than finding fish :D
hardware == fish

Every Day