Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008  (Read 6025 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »

I still say take a bow out there and deal with em yourself.

ED, listen to dennyman's advice please, and don't suggest illegal acts on the discussion forum.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

everyday, you want someone to shoot those seals? why dont you go and buy a bow and do it yourself? i wouldnt be caught trying to shoot one with my bow, they would probably take my bow, give me a huge fine and maybe even ban me from hunting.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

yoda

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:10:19 AM »

saw a seal in the canal in late march. once you see that little head looking back at you with those puppy eyes and whiskers in the ocean, it's hard to mistake them for anything else. anyway, it was dead in the canal that particular day!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

I was fishing below Sardis April 18th and spotted a seal. No doubt what it was. While the presence of a seal is bad for fishing ( I was skunked) it is something I accept. Seals like bears, eagles, loons etc are part of the natural cycle and are more dependent on the fish than we are. I respect their presence and existence.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »

Everyday if it had a tail, it wasn't a seal.. Coloration looks like a harbor seal though.

Well put Ralph.  99% of the time people want to kill seals because they interfere with "their" fishing...not with the fish populations.  Give the great white hunter thing a rest guys, it makes us all look bad.

steeleagle

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

I grew up on the Puntledge, I agree with you on that one, just to many of them somthimes. What do we prize more our salmon and steelhead or those dam seals..

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

Had a good day fishing today! The highlight today was the dead seal I found with a Arrow through the head.  ???
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »

It didnt have a tail, was definaltey a seal..... doesnt matter to me if you guys don't belive me, I dont normally fish around there anyways (where I saw it).

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 12:17:12 AM »

I'm not sure if you can hunt or even NBL (no bag limit) Seal here :-\. Its one of those grey area's in the regs. ::)

All I can say is if your hugging one have a Goalie mask on or something to stop the vicious thing from feeding on your face. ( I seem to be having some sort of animal fear tonight)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

It didnt have a tail, was definaltey a seal.....

Lol ok here the only pic I got...... not very good u can see the wake and the tail....

sry was reading your earlier post where you said it had a tail.

You can't legally kill a seal.  DFO has to obtain permission to do it, you think seals are open to regular hunting?  There is nothing "grey" about it. 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 12:46:19 AM »

Just my personal feeling that seals in the open seas chasing salmon in a big eco-system there is perfectly ok. It is the circle of life. But when they zone into a small fish habitat like a small river and even up in its pools, away from the wide oceans where they are supposed to be, and decimate the poor fish stock which have no where to run. When this happen day in and day out in the river, then it is not fair game and not natural, and the seals are nothing but a pest to the fair survival of a precious fish stock. They should be terminated as pests. Where is Arnold when we need him?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:49:27 AM by Steelhawk »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »

Just my personal feeling that seals in the open seas chasing salmon in a big eco-system there is perfectly ok. It is the circle of life. But when they zone into a small fish habitat like a small river and even up in its pools, away from the wide oceans where they are supposed to be, and decimate the poor fish stock which have no where to run. When this happen day in and day out in the river, then it is not fair game and not natural, and the seals are nothing but a pest to the fair survival of a precious fish stock. They should be terminated as pests. Where is Arnold when we need him?  ;D

Exactly
The Bigger The Better!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 09:05:25 AM »

Fortunately it's DFO that decides when to terminate them and not a bunch of bow and arrow toting rambo wannabes.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

I think they are like swimming members of the rodent family.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

who said you needed to use a bow!? but Steelhawk hit the nail on the head. Even when they're at the mouth of a small system like the capilano it can be pretty bad.
Fish killer 101