Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alta lake - May 25,2008  (Read 734 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Alta lake - May 25,2008
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »

Living in the lower mainland we are blessed with an abundance of angling opportunities within a reasonable driving distance, this makes deciding where to fish pretty tough most weekends.  This weekend we decided to try out some new waters, during our planning session last night I threw out some names, and in the end Mary had decided we would head to Whistler as its been ages since we've been up that way.

Traffic was light and we were on the lake by 10am, Mary put on a pumpkinhead while I tied on a carey special. There was alot of surface action as we started exploring the lake and in no time I was into the first fish, a tiny little runt rainbow, not the monster cutthroat I was after but fun all the same.

It had seemed we had arrived at the right time, as there was lots of action for both of us with these feisty little bows. After a few fish my rod bent over pretty hard and I was finally into a cutthroat trout.

As the day went on we tussled with more small rainbows, and I would land another smaller cutthroat, but still no cutthroat for my partner.

Later in the day we looked over the side of the boat and noticed what all the surface action was about, there was a big hatch of these guys happening,

regretfully we had left the floating lines at home, and I had nothing that resembled them in my fly box.

Around 2pm the wind started to pick up and the dark clouds started rolling in.

We decided to call it a day and started heading towards the boat launch hoping to beat the rain. Well wouldnt you know it, as we are almost at the launch and bringing in the lines Marys rod buckles over and she is into her first cutthroat, after a nice fight the biggest fish of the day makes it to the boat, and after a quick hero shot the beautiful fish is back on its way.

An awesome end to a great day, and my girlfriend is already asking "where is our next adventure going to be?"

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:44:44 PM by lucky »