Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leighton Lake - May 12/13  (Read 1687 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Leighton Lake - May 12/13
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »

Just back from the first successful expedition to the interior of the year.  Arrived to dead flat calm and the birds going crazy picking off bugs at Tunkwa.  Decided to set up camp at Leighton and give that a whirl - never fished either before. 

The weather was nice yesterday afternoon and a gentle breeze came up - sunny with cloudy periods.  Warm in the sun but quite cool when a cloud passed overhead.  Fishing was apparently better in the afternoon which worked out fine for me because thats when we arrived.  Water still very chilly in the float tube but nonetheless, small size 14 chironomids were the ticket in red/black, light green, or silver/red.  Quite shallow in about 6-8 feet of water and only down about 5 feet.  Had 1 nice one and 4 small ones, but all still beautiful radiant silver.  Caught 5 more small ones on a cast and retrieved black micro leech that evening before dinner.

Wind blew up that night and it was freezing that night.  Envious of those in 5th wheels and campers, but its hard to have champagne tastes on a beer salary.  Cool, cloudy and windy start to the morning up there today - starting sleeting with rain.  Fishing was alright though and I was able to find some fish.  Had 6 today - all small and silvery, 3 on chironomid and 3 on the same micro leech in the rain and you could have thrown a beer to me from our campsite.  Water is quite high and Im looking forward to going again some time in the near future. 

Good times.

Andrew

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Leighton Lake - May 12/13
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »

"and you could have thrown a beer to me from our campsite"

would that have brought your avatar back :-\ Tanks for the report :) I go up country next week after long weekend.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »

Wind blew up that night and it was freezing that night.  Envious of those in 5th wheels and campers...

I know exactly how that feels!!! ;D Last May I slept in a tent. The tent was too big for my little body, too much cold air in it. :-\ When the wind blows at night up there, it gets rather noisy in the tent. Brrr.... Second time there, I slept in my car. It was a bit better, but still kind of cold and that was in August. :o

You should consider a trip in early August as we are most likely fishing it then. The fish are bigger, fatter, almost as silvery and the fight is awesome. The fishing is also easy as you don't have to fish very deep as mentioned. My kind of fishing. ;D Perhaps a group trip. ;)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

No doubt Rod...From what I hear the bomber fishing can be rather exciting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »

Here is the story of our trip from last August. :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15427.0

Pat AV

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »

Good work Andrew, are you working up there or just on a fishing visit?  Any big ones around?

My first big stilliwater trip (9 days  ;D) will take me to Williams lake at the end of the month (may 24th), reports like this are making it seem like a long time away.

What are you up to at the end of the month?

PS: Rod and GHC sounds like you boys need to invest in some better sleeping bags!  :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:41:40 AM by Pat AV »
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

What I need is a RV with satellite internet access. ;D

Pat AV

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »

Funny thing is I have a decent RV at my disposal, but with gas prices the way they are it is reserved for december-feb camping trips!

The satelite internet access would be good for you though, maybe you could write off the gas and cost of the RV as a business expense then! Live on the spot fishing reports from throughout the province would be pretty cool.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:24:09 PM »

Good work Andrew, are you working up there or just on a fishing visit?  Any big ones around?

My first big stilliwater trip (9 days  ;D) will take me to Williams lake at the end of the month (may 24th), reports like this are making it seem like a long time away.

What are you up to at the end of the month?

PS: Rod and GHC sounds like you boys need to invest in some better sleeping bags!  :D

Hey Pat, sounds like I might run into you up there. I'll be making my annual trip up to Bill's Puddle around the same time. Chances are we both fish a lot of the same lakes  ;)
Actions speak louder than words.

Pat AV

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »

Hey Biff, you never know, I have heard disturbing things about large scale turnover happening with the strong winds up there right now.

So you may be just as likely to find me scratching my head beside a debris filled lake as to find me slaying some big bows. Here's hoping the reports are wrong and we both have great trips.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »

The satelite internet access would be good for you though, maybe you could write off the gas and cost of the RV as a business expense then! Live on the spot fishing reports from throughout the province would be pretty cool.

While we at it, might get a jetboat, private jet plane for those carribean expeditions, live fishing-cam... ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »

Hey Biff, you never know, I have heard disturbing things about large scale turnover happening with the strong winds up there right now.

So you may be just as likely to find me scratching my head beside a debris filled lake as to find me slaying some big bows. Here's hoping the reports are wrong and we both have great trips.

Luckily I have a 2 week window to work with right now. I've been hearing some of the same things too...so I might wait a week and head up to the Boo next week.
Actions speak louder than words.

Pat AV

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »

2 weeks thats a good deal, I am saving the rest of my holiday time for Skeena Country in the fall so I only have 9 days.

We should be able to find some good water, just play the elevation game and be creative.

GHC is driving up as I type this to pre scout and set up camp.