Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008  (Read 6232 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:59:26 PM »

Started today at around 6:30. Saw a fish landed and another hooked. Soon after I hooked one about 2 feet away from me, gave a few headshakes, started to take off and then I lost it. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

Important part about today was:
Me and Bigfisher were fishing down by the train bridge today when we saw something struggling up through the shallows, we thought it was a school of fish and got our rods ready, but it turned out to be a seal. We left soon after, assuming that all of the fish would have been spooked away. When we last saw it, the seal was working it's way up the run above the train bridge towards Lickman Road, This would explain all the fish with seal marks/wound on them (hopefully someone "solves this problem" soon)

Hopefully this doesnt inhibit more fish from coming up, as I would like to get maybe one more hatch before april is over.
Good luck to everyone going out tomorrow, good to see some reports about fish today.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River April 20th. 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

Hey Dan

Are you sure it was a seal?  There is a family of otters nearby and the male is a monster.  I saw it sunning on a log a few days ago - very impressive animal.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:37:27 AM »

It had light and dark markings across the head. Must have been a good 200 pounds, but we chased it anyways. I was in shock when I first saw the wake coming up from the shallows, I thought we were about to come across a huge push of steelies!   ;D I think Dan might have a picture, If you ask he would probably post it.
The Bigger The Better!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »

I saw a seal in the allison pools once...no bought in what it was!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »

are u sure it wasnt a beaver? there are a few lurking around the trainbridge area
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

let me know if its beaver, I hunt beaver. ;D ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

Sounds like a seal for sure...  I've seen them much higher up than that too (but not in the wack).  Would be great to see a pic.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »

Any of you ever seen the rare hairless beaver?

ya its a sight alright
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »

Seal for sure. I Positively ID-ed them in the mid-river at the end of the salmon season last year.

Another item that I need to start packing on my fishing trips - a big club. >:(

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

I saw a seal in freshet last year 13km up the upper pitt.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

Lol ok here the only pic I got...... not very good u can see the wake and the tail.... hopefully the wake size will show you that it really is a seal, we were less than 30 feet away from it at sometimes just never had time for a pic before it dove again :

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »

Seal for sure. I Positively ID-ed them in the mid-river at the end of the salmon season last year.

Another item that I need to start packing on my fishing trips - a big club. >:(

Or a shot gun (maybe a bow less noise)  ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

are u sure it wasnt a beaver? there are a few lurking around the trainbridge area

Im sure it wasnt a beaver becuse I saw like 6 this year.... 3 by the train bridge, even saw one at the Crossing bridge.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »

Remember it is against the law to shoot at or to harm those pesky seals.  Only thing that can be done is to tabulate sightings of the seals. Biggest concern would be if a bunch of seals schooled up in the Vedder river, and then started chowing down on the fish, smolts included.  Look at the horror story on Vancouver Island with the Puntledge River in which they are trying to  find some way of chasing away the seals. In a case, like that DFO should step in and eliminate the pesky critters. My two cents worth.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

I still say take a bow out there and deal with em yourself. Other fisherman won't care because they hate em just as much as you and tourists (passerby's/pedestrain) won't hear a gunshot if you use a bow, and Im thinking bows are more effective in water anyways. (PS I havnt seen a CO or DFO since last summer, and before that I hadnt seen one since I started fishing 4 years ago.)