Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help on bar fishing  (Read 4328 times)

standalone

help on bar fishing
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »

never tried before,will try bar fishing Fraser this summer.The problem is the furthest I can cast is only about 15 meters.Is it enough for most popular bars ? or which bar I shouldn't go because of long cast needed?

Gotcha

Re: help on bar fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:27 PM »

Casting is not a problem when there's probably no sockeye or spring fishing due to the low returns... although they may still open for springs only???

My 2cent...

Gotcha
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:23:20 PM by Gotcha »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

Casting is not a problem when there's probably no sockeye or spring fishing due to the low returns... although they may still open for springs only???

Fraser River chinook salmon daily quota is zero until June 15th. Retention will be allowed from June 16th unless there is another in-season change. While daily quota is zero until June 15th, anglers can still catch and release them during this period if they wish to by barfishing, but condition will most likely be unsuitable due to freshet.

never tried before,will try bar fishing Fraser this summer.The problem is the furthest I can cast is only about 15 meters.Is it enough for most popular bars ? or which bar I shouldn't go because of long cast needed?

15 meters is adequate enough for most places. Many fish travel close to shore in the shallows, more than people may think.

Others can help you with fishing locations, as I do not fish the Fraser for salmon that much, or at all.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »

As Rodney has stated most of the fish are caught close to shore. Majority of my fish from the Lower Fraser has been within 50' from shore.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 07:43:27 AM »

From my experience Springs like fast deep water.  If you can find an inside bend to fish from the they will most likely be closer to shore.

standalone

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

Thanks a lot.So I do not need to practice casting at the bank of river like an idiot any more.

Gotcha

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »

Again fishing close to shore may be better than casting 75'-100' out.... I've seen fisher man and ladies out catch others thinking that the further they cast the better and bigger the fish ???.
If you do want to get better... practice at a park with just the weight.... making sure that your tensioning knob is set correct.

Gotcha