Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes in the fishing report access  (Read 12053 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Changes in the fishing report access
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »

To All:

Posts that are just to get the post count up, and that don't contribute will find their way into the bitbucket. 

Sorry.  They key wording above was CONTRIBUTE.

Lastcar

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »

To All:

Posts that are just to get the post count up, and that don't contribute will find their way into the bitbucket. 

Sorry.  They key wording above was CONTRIBUTE.

Until people are at the minimum level to access all areas?

It would seem labour intensive and take away some non contributing, yet entertaining, banter that or complimenting that goes on.

Is it safe to say things like "Awesome", "Thanks for the report" and "Nice fish" are what you are talking about?

Feel free to delete this in a few days as it is somewhat of freebie as well.

Thanks in advance.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »

It was the "Well I guess this will be post #8" kind of posts that dissappeared.

Discussion = good.
Posts for posts sake = bad.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Cool. Rod listened to me :)
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »

So you agreed with me after all in making fishing reports available to members only  ;D

cool...

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16319.0

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »

Rodney, I guess I'lll have to start posting to up my count so I can access the now restricted section.  I have been a lurker for a while now and have been using the information contained in the Fishing Reports section to plan my trips out west.  Whiile I didn't listen to the reports (or lack thereof) and came out last week to find fishing very slow on the Vedder, I was happy to enjoy your wonderful scenery as well as weather!  Yeah, everyone told me I should have been there 2 weeks ago!!!  It was also nice to meet up with Chris again and talk about various environment and fisheries issues which I have been following.  (I was impressed that he remembered me from a couple of years ago when I first met him on the flow.)  He asked me if I had met you and when I replied "no" he told me that I should and that you are a "great guy."  One of these days, I'm sure we'll meet.

I quite enjoy the "social" aspect of Vedder fishing as I have met so many great people.  When the fishing is slow, I just love those "union meetings" on the bar!!!  

By the way, when I look out the window of my office, I still see 12 foot snow banks in the parking lot!  I need to go fishing :(

You guys and gals are very lucky :'(

Thanks Ontario Guy.

Many anglers here certainly do not realize how fortunate British Columbians are when it comes to year-round angling opportunities.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »

This change seems to be working already..... I only saw 3 cars today on my way up to the hatchery and 4 on my way down after my volunteer work was done..... hopefully not as many people come out now so the river isn't too crowded..

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »

An interesting concept. What exactly is the objective of haveing a user reach 10 post?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »

It was one more than nine. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishing4salmon

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »

I think it is a good idea to make this change.....so more fisherman can participate and contribute to something ^^  ;D

erin

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »

We've made some changes today. The fishing report section can only be accessed by forum members that have made ten posts or more and subscribers. Guests and Newbies cannot post or read the reports.

Just a couple of small suggestions - perhaps blog posts with a link to a restricted travel report could be marked as such?  I clicked on a travel report link in the "Between rain clouds..." blog post and was momentarily confused by the "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you" error.  Perhaps this generic error could also include a link to the fishing report section access info in the new members thread?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:51:36 PM by erin »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »

Rodney, she's asking you to revise your coding.  ;D  Have fun.   :D :D

sardine

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »

Rod, I understand your reasoning behind the new rules but some people are just naturally wall flowers and don't like to yap it up.  I have been a fan of this site for the past 5 years.  I don't get to wet my lines as much as I like so I used to rely on this site for river conditions.  I think most of my posts will be "How is the water in the Vedder today?"

All change is good I suppose.  Good luck with your site.