Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adopt a Fry  (Read 6662 times)

mattcass

Adopt a Fry
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »

If the fish farms won't fallow their farms, well, the wild salmon are going to get moved instead.

www.adopt-a-fry.org

The idea is to seine up some juveniles, transport them past the fish farms, release them into Queen Charlotte Sound. I have some concerns over disruption to migration, but it's better than 90% of the fish dying from sea lice.

Matt

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Adopt a Fry
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »

Matt, you beat me to this. :P ;D I even had the lap top in front of the TV.

Anyway, possibly a good alternative, but taking out a section of the most important migratory route where smoltification is taking place can be disastrous. Since the minister actually sat in a meeting to discuss possible solution, a general agreement on the damage by sealice must have been reached. If there is a problem, get rid of it instead of going around it.

mattcass

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:59 PM »

I hadn't head about this previously so I was quick!

The fry will likely be trapped when they are approaching Tribune Channel (the long channel that goes around the back of Gilford Island). The fry will be fully smoltified at that point so it shouldn't really be a concern.

The overall problem won't be solved this season. The farmers were well aware that the farms would be stocked this fall during the out-migration. When I was in the Broughton last spring, the Glacier Falls farm was being stocked with fish that were going to be grown for about 18 months. That meant fully-stocked farms this spring, just in time for the juveniles.

The other possibly solution is the lice levels on the farmed salmon. The minister and farmers may say that the levels are monitored and regulated (which they are), but the agreed upon lice levels are far too high. Probably 100x times than they should be.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »

Smolt frequently spend quite a period of time in the delta estuary.  I don't know exactly where the fish farms are located in relation to the Fraser River delta, but I would hate to take this important area away from the fish as they are adapting to life in the ocean.  My vote is to force the farmers away from any rearing and important estuary areas.  If they cannot find a place, too bad for them.   

clownfish

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »

Make them move their operations into concrete tanks, or some type of pond, on land, a properly setup operation would include the ability to use the fish poop for nutrients to also farm shrimp/prawns, the poop would be food for microorganisms/algae/sea weed, the shrimp/prawns would feed on that. The Israelis have setup this sort of system in a number of locations in the desert and have run them successfully for years, they use different fish than salmon of course, but the principles would be the same. This would also have the benefits of preventing escapements of the salmon, and keeping the seals from stealing from the pens, and also save seals from getting stuck in the nets of the pens and drowning (a fairly common occurrence I hear).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:53:34 PM by clownfish »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »

Make them move their operations into concrete tanks, or some type of pond, on land, a properly setup operation would include the ability to use the fish poop for nutrients to also farm shrimp/prawns, the poop would be food for microorganisms/algae/sea weed, the shrimp/prawns would feed on that. The Israelis have setup this sort of system in a number of locations in the desert and have run them successfully for years, they use different fish than salmon of course, but the principles would be the same. This would also have the benefits of preventing escapements of the salmon, and keeping the seals from stealing from the pens, and also save seals from getting stuck in the nets of the pens and drowning (a fairly common occurrence I hear).

A very interesting idea, but a question I have is whats up with growing prawns in israel...  Prawns aren't kosher, so what do they do with them?  Maybe just for waste treatment?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »

This is a noble idea but i cant support a Band-aid solution to a huge ongoing problem.
Make the fish farms treat there problem or kick em out.
If these farms are that detrimental to a fish stock such as Pinks i would be shutting them down yesterday .
However it looks like our current Government has pretty much put B.C. up for sale to the highest bidder and embraces all things money.

clownfish

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »

I would never have allowed them to setup here in the first place, given the history from all of the locations in Europe where EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM has occurred due to fish farms. My suggestion is intended to provide a solution that everyone, but specifically OUR NATIVE SALMON, can live with. I knew, as soon as I heard that the Liberals won the first time, that they would be selling off as much of the province as they could, with no regard to the consequences to the environment or the people. Their current actions, particularly with the $100.00 to every resident, are simply intended to buy them votes for the next election. Most everything that the provincial Liberals do is intended to benefit themselves and all their business partners. I shudder thinking about what will happen if they get in again.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:03:34 PM by clownfish »

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »

closed pen methods seems to be a good way to go, and it doesnt involve massive projects to fam fish on land.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:36 AM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod