Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River cleanup on April 5th, 2008  (Read 19756 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River cleanup on April 5th, 2008
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »

The first of three 2008 Chilliwack River cleanups will take place on Saturday April 5th, 2008. This event is once again hosted by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition.

Participants will meet at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve at 8:30am-9:30am to register. All volunteers will be designated to specific section of the river (from the Hwy 1 Bridge to the Chilliwack Hatchery) to conduct this cleanup. The cleanup will finish by 12:30pm. Garbage bags and limited number of gloves and pickup tools will be available for volunteers. Tim Hortons will also be providing coffee and donuts during registration. Water will also be available.

The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition was established in spring 2002. Since its formation, 20 river cleanups have been organized. With the support of the City of Chilliwack and the Fraser Valley Regional District, an ongoing Adopt-a-River program has also been set up. If you belong to a club and think that you maybe interested in adopting a section of the Chilliwack River, please let us know by emailing info@cleanrivers.ca or Lew at lachater@shaw.ca.

In 2007, volunteers removed an incredible 9.04 tons of garbage from riparian areas, riverbanks, campsites and trails that might have ended up in our beautiful river. With your support, we can continue to keep this popular recreational corridor a clean and enjoyable environment for all recreational users, local residents and wildlife inhabitants. You can make a difference.

If you have other questions regarding this particular cleanup or about CVRCC, please contact Chris at gadsden@shaw.ca or Rodney at info@fishingwithrod.com.

April will still be a good winter steelhead month on the Chilliwack River. Don't forget your fishing rod so you can wet a line after the cleanup.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Chilliwack River cleanup on April 5th, 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

marked on my calendar
hope i can make it :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »

Is this on a weekend... and if so would any one be willing to give me a ride?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »

The first of three 2008 Chilliwack River cleanups will take place on Saturday April 5th, 2008.

If you ride your bike down to the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve, you can leave it there and go with another group to the river. The directors will be signing people in and putting people in groups.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »

Yea maybe I'll do that, if I can't make it hopefully all truns out well, its great that people are taking initiative out on the river.... it seems to be a real mess as of late, especially on the back side of it where I like to do my fishing...

yoda

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »

sounds like a great plan, you should see all the garbage in the lower river when you walk in the river!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »

Four days until the cleanup!

River cleanup takes aim at pollutants
By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress - April 01, 2008

Local riverbanks are hit hardest by vehicles that have been dumped and later torched, says Lew Chater of the Chilliwack/Vedder Cleanup Coalition.

“That does just incredible damage to the sensitive riparian areas,” he says.

The group is hosting the first of three river cleanups in 2008 this Saturday, and this type of pollution can be the worst of what they find.

When a vehicle appears abandoned in Chilliwack’s back country, it’s reported to police. But unless that vehicle has been insured by ICBC, it just sits there. Then some nitwit lights it on fire, making a bad situation even worse, Chater says.

Imagine the impact of toxic motor oil, heavy metals or other pollutants trickling down to the pristine fish habitat nearby, he adds.

“This is the first cleanup we’ve had since the end of last September so there will probably be a fair bit of debris. We’re going out a little earlier than usual, so we’ll be ahead of the vegetation a little,” he says.

What tends to get hauled out of the bush by the truckload is a real mix of household garbage, construction debris and fast-food litter.

“It’s anything from shingles, wall board, and oil, to stolen and torched vehicles.”

On April 5, about 100 volunteers are expected to cover about 60 kilometres of the world-class recreational river for the cleanup, Chater adds.

The directors have conducted a little reconnaissance on the river to assess where the worst spots are so they can direct cleanup volunteers to them.

“It makes it more efficient,” Chater says.

School kids, anglers, kayakers, guides and scouts often come out, but they always need new volunteers.

Last year, dozens of volunteers removed an incredible 9.04 tons of garbage from riparian areas, riverbanks, campsites and trails that might have ended up in the Chilliwack/Vedder river, he adds.

Even propane cylinders tossed everywhere are a concern, the coalition director says.

“With your support, we can continue to keep this popular recreational corridor a clean and enjoyable environment for all recreational users, local residents and wildlife inhabitants,” he says.

The cleanup is Saturday, April 5 hosted by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition.

Participants will meet at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. to register. All volunteers will be designated to specific section of the river (from the Confluence of the Vedder and Sumas - up to the Chilliwack Hatchery - on both sides ) to conduct this cleanup.

The cleanup will wrap up by 12:30 p.m. Garbage bags and limited number of gloves and pickup tools will be available for volunteers. Tim Hortons will also be providing coffee and donuts during registration. Water will also be available.

“With the support of the City of Chilliwack and the Fraser Valley Regional District, an ongoing Adopt-a-River program has also been set up,” he says. “If you belong to a club and think that you maybe interested in adopting a section of the Chilliwack River, please let us know.”

E-mail info@cleanrivers.ca or lachater@shaw.ca. Questions regarding this particular cleanup or about CVRCC, please contact Chris at gadsden@shaw.ca or Rodney at info@fishingwithrod.com.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:14:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7wm4AAlRe8

"I'll guarantee you will catch a fish..."

"We might even tell you where the hot spots are."

:o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »

And this is what we are attempting to prevent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_jc5_MnH8

Freshet is coming soon. River is at its lowest so the timing of the cleanup can't get any better.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

Won't be able to make this one as it is opening day for my sons baseball. Hopefully be at the next one.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

I'll be there.
Have room for four people in my truck.
Leaving East Vancouver around 7:30 AM
Returning to Vancouver around 5:00 PM.

Planning to fish for a few hours after the cleanup.

Contact me if you need/want a ride.

Cheers, Milo

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »

5:00pm? You'll miss the bites at last light. ;D Or are you coming back to get dressed up just in time for the flyfishing film show? ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

5:00pm? You'll miss the bites at last light. ;D Or are you coming back to get dressed up just in time for the flyfishing film show? ;)

Never had much luck with the evening bite during steelhead season. 90 percent of my Vedder steelies were caught between noon and 3 PM. ???

I am returning home early because I am going to cheer my friend B.Bronswyk at his body building competition in North Vancouver.

GO BOBO GO! :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »

Oh right. :) Good luck Bryan. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

I'll be there.
Have room for four people in my truck.
Leaving East Vancouver around 7:30 AM
Returning to Vancouver around 5:00 PM.

Planning to fish for a few hours after the cleanup.

Contact me if you need/want a ride.

Cheers, Milo
Thanks very much Milo.