Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feb. 15 Spey casting on the Vedder  (Read 4099 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Feb. 15 Spey casting on the Vedder
« on: February 16, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »

I went out just before noon to the run above the Train Bridge.  I was testing my new Loomis Dredger GLX 14 ft. 9 wt Spey rod and Rio Skagit line.  It took awhile to adjust from my Loop Blueline and Midspey line.  Now I know why so many guys are going Skagit.
Chucked flies for awhile but nothing.  Met Nichole and her boyfriend who were also working flies.  There were a couple of young guys from Kelowna there fly fishing too but had nothing.
Went down to the big run above the Island in the canal.  There were a couple of fly chuckers there too.  Nothing. The rain was coming down pretty good so I called it a day by 4:30pm 
So, far I have only got one steelie this year on 8 outings.  Stung a couple but nothing exciting.  Hope to get more at it next week.  My buddy went to Cancun last week and did some fly fishing for bonefish and permit and caught a few. 
I sure could use some "warm water fishing and some warm weather" ....very weary of this winter weather.  Glad I don't live in Winnipeg. 
My wife tells me to stop complaining and be thankful that we live in the Wack and I am two minutes from the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Feb. 15 Spey casting on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »

Hey, at least if your not going to catch anything it's better to do it on the fly...I also have a hard time putting down the skagit, too easy to use for the vedder where the shorter head allows you to fish more water effectively...
I was out today, all over the river...Must have been a slide as from sleese down there was only about 2" of vis. Lower was fine this morning but tonight I ended down in the canal to get some clear water and around 5 it started to cloud up too...

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »

My guess would be that you get good excercise with the fly?
Or maybe its good for the oxygen levels of the river as they increase some with all the frothing from them Spey lines? ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »

If I don't catch anything the last thing I want is a fly. Usually go for beer and hot wings.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »

hey Xgolfman why"at least if you're not going to catch anything it's better to do it on the fly"? could you explain what that means to us  'regular' guys  ?'cuz i don't understand .

It means the old bugger is an " elitist Spey Fisherman "  it also means he enjoys catching himself with his heavy fly in the back, the head , his waders etc :)

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Mudpout

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »

i wonder if a spey rod would cast my massive largemouth deer hair poppers better than my 8 weight? :)

Check out the new Sage Bass rods.  Meant for just that.

Cheers
Tom

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

hey Xgolfman why"at least if you're not going to catch anything it's better to do it on the fly"? could you explain what that means to us  'regular' guys  ?'cuz i don't understand .

It means the old bugger is an " elitist Spey Fisherman "  it also means he enjoys catching himself with his heavy fly in the back, the head , his waders etc :) i wish i wasn't so gay..

TH

Damn....I think it's more about how hard it is to get a steelhead on the fly so I don't get as aggravated about it like I do sometimes with gear...good excuse!!!