Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dangerous dog breed discussion  (Read 21389 times)

Schenley

Dangerous dog breed discussion
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »

Before anyone buys one of these pups-- I strongly advise you to read this USDA report http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/newsletters/v5n4/5n4wille.htm

They do NOT make good house pets and if not fully controlled can be dangerous...  These are high mantainance animals

Beast

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »

Just to let you know...you could basically say this about ANY dog out there these days and the majority of times (99%) it has to do with the OWNER and how the animal is treated.  I have 3 children and they have been around my dogs since a very young age...there has never been an issue.  If anything the dog has been protective of anyone (strangers) coming near my children.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »

Before anyone buys one of these pups-- I strongly advise you to read this USDA report http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/newsletters/v5n4/5n4wille.htm

They do NOT make good house pets and if not fully controlled can be dangerous...  These are high mantainance animals

hahaha
hardware == fish

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »

That is such a ignorant and ridiculous..... and outta line i might add, comment to make in a fellows buynsell add.
Having owned for 9 years.... a first generation TIMBER WOLF/AKIDA ..... what some would say is A VERY DANGEROUS mix... and it is..... through proper training, and lots of human attention, this dog never harmed a soul, was obedient like no dog i've owned. He was born in the wild and the mother was killed by a bear we think. The mother was a pack outcast, probably the mate of a defeated or exiled former alpha male, and no longer welcome in her pack. She had denned up and marked her territory in the back area of my uncles acerage up north near castlegar. My uncles pure akida max had at er one day..... and..... she had a litter my uncle discoverd when he went looking for her and found her dead from an attack by somethin big, prolly a griz after her pups. 3 of those pups survived, one lived with us as kids, and the other 2 lived 12 and 13 years and grew up with my uncles kids.... Never an incident. I would guess, and i could be wrong..... from looking at the pics of the parents, the wolf in the pics appears to be a few generations removed from it's wild breed. An EDUCATED dog enthusiast would see that right of the bat.
I am strongly considering buying one of these pups advertised here
I own a pure bred rotweiller, who is a wonderful family dog..... but.... we know how to raise a dog, and we don't give a rats@ss about USDA reports  ::)  ::)

testo84

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »

I can second that i owned a rotweiler and he was very smart and REALLY FAR from being dangeorus

SO FUNNY
hardware == fish

Schenley

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »

I expected these replies.... Just like the pitbull owners who say "I dont know why my pitbull ripped the face of that kid-- The kid must have been provoking him!"

These ARE potentially dangerous animal-- READ the article.  And as far as post about another persons post-- whats the problem? Dont like the truth?

speycaster

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

I would not put much faith in a response from some one who does not know where Castlegar is. Some parts of the West Kootenay have feral dogs that i shoot when ever i see them, but wolves are a rarity. Killed 5 north of Krestova  last hunting season. Lots of cougar,bobcat,lynx, and bears.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »

The key words are High Maintenance as contained in the report summation.

A knowledgeable responsible owner could keep and animal like that-as long as it was always behind a stout fence on a short leash.

Wouldn't want one for a neighbour though-there seems to be a tough guy attitude to owning a time bomb and I don't like people like that at all nor their stupid snarling mutts.

If you want a good fishing partner get a Lab or better yet an older dog from the pound-you'll have a grateful stable pal for life with no lawsuits looming.

speycaster-Good Job on the ferals-they are a plague.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:56:02 AM by Sam Salmon »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »

I read it.  Maybe you should actually read it.  It doesn't support your claims.  Lots of interesting information though... but those things are just too big for my liking... unless its a wolf/Chiuaua hybrid.  8)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »

In my experience , which i don't need to get into here, 90% or better of the vicious or unstable dogs out therre.... are "created" by thier owners neglect

testo84

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »

In my experience , which i don't need to get into here, 90% or better of the vicious or unstable dogs out therre.... are "created" by thier owners neglect

couldnt agree more

Oh come on I've lived with 13 dogs from Bali , Indonesia to guard my dad's warehouse before which are BEAST on their nature ( coz their parents live in jungle ) , but its all about their how their owner nurtures them

I can say even chi hua hua can bite someone if they arent well nurtured

nurture > nature
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:36:28 PM by testo84 »
hardware == fish

Schenley

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »

Yup-- its all about the owners...Right?      BS. Ever heard of a little thing about genetics or inate behavior???   I will agree that MANY owners ARE a problem-- especially the deniers that wont face reality about just how aggressive theses and some other breeds can be. 

Hey Beast-- are you going to screen the potential owners to make sure you dont sell one of these little wonders to one of machismo crowd? Or that it wont be confined to a 33ft Vancouver lot?   The pound is full of dogs that people all of a sudden found that thier cute puppy turned into Cujo.......

Beast

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »

hey SCHENLEY are you a full breed or are you a hybrid (mixed)? are you a time bomb??
as humans we came from the dinosaur era does that make us dangerous ?
myself I'm not a full breed I'm 50% native 50% Portuguese does that make me a time bomb?

i do admit i do have my times when i do want to hurt others but in the end my training "the way i was brought up as a child" tells me better!
so i would have to say that it does depend on the way of being brought up as child in this case a PUP!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

I heard the #1 dog that bites is the Cocker Spaniel. So don't breed them with wolves to be on the safe side.  :)
Some dogs are just high vet bills, like the Pug. :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Schenley

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »

Just a little something to think about:  Found on the web

To whom it may concern:

So you want a wolf-dog? Please answer "yes" or "no" to the following questions:

1. Do you have the proper facilities to contain the animal? (i.e. so that it will NEVER, EVER leave your property unattended. It's as easy as a puff of wind opening a not quite closed front door.)

2. Are you ready to accept the animal as it is, rather than an extension of your own ego? There is nothing "cool" about owning a wolf-dog. The responsibilities are too overwhelming.

3. Are you prepared to remain unruffled and unafraid while watching the animal as it begins to "psyche out" a terrified child or wary adult? Wolf-dogs seem to "feed" on such vibrations.

4. Can you handle a confrontation? How will you react if the animal turns on you?

5. Can you stand the horror, humiliation and anger after the animal has bitten the neighbor's child?

6. Can you bear the thought of it harming your own child?

7. Are you ready to comply with the "dangerous dog" acts many counties are employing to curb dog bite problems? They include:

a. $75.00 to $1,000.00 fee PER year to keep the animal,
b. Mandatory liability insurance of at least $50,000.00,
c. A class C FELONY action against YOU if the animal bites more than once,
d. Fines up to $5,000.00 and /or one year of imprisonment

8. Can you afford to employ a PROFESSIONAL trainer to help control the animal and educate you on wolf and dog psychology? KENNEL CLUB training does not count!

9. Are you ready to take these responsibilities "'till death do you part"? Because giving or selling the animal is only passing the problem on to someone else, their children, friends, neighbors and county authorities. And while we're at it, will you be responsible enough to neuter the animal rather than letting it pass on these problems to others through its progeny?

This test is neither Pass nor Fail. You know how you did.

I didn't know any of this nine years ago when I adopted my wolf-dog. And I have been through all of the above as well as spent over $7,000.00 on proper containment, training and attorney fees. In spite of it all, my wolf-dog stays with me because he has no where else to go. But the oppressive liability of it overshadows us daily. These questions are depressing at best. But they must be asked...and answered truthfully.

Sincerely, Name Withheld