Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rainy River Steelhead  (Read 4269 times)

steeleagle

Rainy River Steelhead
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »

Heading over to the sunshine coast tomorrow and I've fished the rainy river before but never for steelhead and I was wondering if anyone else has ever fished it? I know it gets a decent run right around now, but it would be nice to hear some opinions of this river and not just get this info out of old books...

Anything would help, thanks

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Rainy River Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

Reconnaissance (1:20,000) Fish and Fish Habitat Inventory of Rainy River, McNair Creek and Dakota Creek Watersheds

From http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/sry/fwh/fish/lmr-ffhi/dakota-creek/dakota-creek.htm

Anadromous Salmonid escapements to the Rainy River are extremely small at present.Periodic floatations and fish counts by MELP and DFO personnel show Steelhead escapements to be generally less than 20 fish. :'(

steeleagle

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

wow only 20 fish!! That river seams like it could hold way more fish than that, possibly before the mill went in I guess. That river is pretty gnarly up top and those fish have to be big and strong to make it up some of the rapid, but last time I fished it I was watching tons of little guys in the crystal clear water in some of the pools. Well I wonder if there is any other steelhead creeks or rivers along that stretch of the sunshine coast. I'm getting paid to go there, I have to bring my rod and at least dip it in to some flow along that Hwy.
Thanks for the Info

thor

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:12:23 PM »

Steeleagle, you may want to check out Chapman creek up at Davis Bay. One of my niece's boyfriends use to fish it and had a far amount of success. He would enter above the hatchery

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »

I fish the Rainy River in Ontario and it's great surface action with frog imitations for Pike :) Most places on the Sunshine coast are sunset fisheries. :'(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

steeleagle

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »

thanks thor, I was thinking about chapman too, I think it's the only other decent river or creek with some flow right now. I'm not to worry about sunset finishing that's what I like the best anyways.
thanks guys for the input