Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: be carefull  (Read 4234 times)

river walker

be carefull
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »

im out most days fishing the vedder accually every day!! , i had a scare of my life today and sould have died.. please were cleates when it's this cold !! very scary please take care ..... even if you think you know where your stepping , you really dont!! trust me !!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

hotrod

Re: be carefull
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:33:37 AM »

Wow! Good to hear your still with us!  Thanks for the reminder. My elders always say to me when your out on the river or the ocean to never turn your back on the water cause it can snatch the life out of you in a heartbeat. It is cold and slippery out there and fell a few times myself.

Hotrod

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:44:12 AM »

Thank the lord ur still with us. Be careful guys, temp is really cold, and the snow turns to ice, u get a frozen rock field.
Fish killer 101

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »

i took 2 spills the last 2 trips and a buddy had a really bad one just about lost all his front teeth.he used his rod and reel to break a little of the fall. i know what you mean!
girls suck throw rocks at them!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »

good point are made in this post. remember even the most expeienced angler can take a spill. take extra percautions during the winter months as the riveror even the ocean can be unforgiving. tight lines to all and safe footing too 8)

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »

I took three tumbles on derby day and was I ever  >:( . I can't recall falling once over the last few years . Just goes to show how that can change in an instance when the temperatures drop . Do be careful out the guys and gals . As  river walker says cleats would be the safest bet .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »

A little tip that I have mentioned before. Use a walking stick of some sort when crossing tricky spots or going down the rip rap etc.. There is lots of sticks just the right lenght along the river you can grab and discard when you are finished crossing. I like sticks the beavers have cut off and chewed the bark off.

As well you will notice a number of anglers use old ski poles that they attach to their belts and when fishing just let it drag along.

Glad you made it out safely.

river walker

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

except poles dont help when you fishing off a rock face!!!  :-[
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »

was out today on my local flow and it was icy. There was a few spots that I want to hit but that would of required fishing off a huge rock. One I could fish off of as the sun had already hit it but the other one was way to icy for me to even attempt. Just have to use a little common sense out there. No fish is worth the risk in my opinion. Sea run took a tumble on derby day and luckily I was walking behind him when he fell as he fell backwards when his butt hit the ground and I was quick enough to grab the top of his vest to prevent his back from hitting the rocks or his head.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »

was out today on my local flow and it was icy. There was a few spots that I want to hit but that would of required fishing off a huge rock. One I could fish off of as the sun had already hit it but the other one was way to icy for me to even attempt. Just have to use a little common sense out there. No fish is worth the risk in my opinion. Sea run took a tumble on derby day and luckily I was walking behind him when he fell as he fell backwards when his butt hit the ground and I was quick enough to grab the top of his vest to prevent his back from hitting the rocks or his head.

A little trick I use all the time up at the Thompson during sub zero fishing when I want to climb up on icy rocks that are out in the water to fish off is I carry hand towels that I lay down on them.  They stick like glue to them and your wet wading boots stick to the towel.  Works like a charm although sometimes you have to wet the towel down to peel it off.  This would work on those cliff section of the river as well.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:54:07 PM »

How did you make out flyguy?
weeeeeeeeeow!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »

A little trick I use all the time up at the Thompson during sub zero fishing when I want to climb up on icy rocks that are out in the water to fish off is I carry hand towels that I lay down on them.  They stick like glue to them and your wet wading boots stick to the towel.  Works like a charm although sometimes you have to wet the towel down to peel it off.  This would work on those cliff section of the river as well.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that out tomorrow.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:13:25 PM »

How did you make out flyguy?

Saw nothing. Low and clear and I fished everywhere. But was still a good day as I had to try my pin out. I just got it yesterday and it was sure fun to fish with.

steeleagle

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »

On Dec 4th I was walking around the upper area by borden creek. There was only around a hour of light left and I was moving fast trying to locate some good holding water when I dislocated my knee cap, tore muscle ligaments in my calf and other stuff only the MRI will tell me(getting that tomorrow). It took a long time to heal and is still healing but I'm still out at least 3 days a week, I think it actually helps strengthen the muscles as I walk in the water. So yes be careful out there cause you could not be fishing for months if that happens to you, thank god It happened when it did and not in the prime time for steelies.

jesse