Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: springs in the vedder  (Read 2622 times)

sanchez

springs in the vedder
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »

I was fishing last sun and a fish porpiosed about 4 feet in front of me,it looked like a spring.I heard there is a small run that comes in this time of year(about 50).I dont believe it was a late one antone know about the run? Has anyone caught one while steelheading/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: springs in the vedder
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »

Most years there is reports of the odd one being picked up, that is why they changed the date when they are closed for retention.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

I caught a 25lber more than 10 years ago at the train bridge in early March. As chrome as it can get.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »

It was March sometime in the late eighties that my fishing buddy hooked and landed a red spring. It was around 20 - 25lbs and chrome silver. When he clamped onto his silex Major and set the hook the fish came up towards the surface and made a huge boil only giving everyone near by just a guick glimpse of the top of his back to the tail. Everyone on the run thought it was a Monster steelie. It was only when he got it close to shore enough to see its head and black mouth did we realize that it was a spring.
It ain't the roe bro'

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »

I believe the hatchery is trying to get their hands on the genetics of these fish, as they are the original red springs that used to be plentiful on the system, and it's been difficult finding these fish to generate hatchery stock from...

2 years ago they were only able to find one fish.

They are catch and release... Do whatever you need to do to protect these fish, there are probably far less than 50 fish that make it back, and no one knows where they spawn...

Much work needs to be done here.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »

better yet, there should be a reward to the fella that safely returns one of these caught specimens to the hatchery unharmed

that would probably work..
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:26:07 AM »

This thread made me do some searching and found that the chinook closure between January 1st and June 30th for the Chilliwack River is not out yet. Just sent an email out for it and hopefully we'll see a notice soon.

Here is last year's closure:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=96490&ID=recreational

"This action is intended to protect early returning wild Chilliwack Chinook. The chinook fishery will re-open as scheduled on July 1, 2007." It's not just for early chinook salmon that may possibly be returning to the Chilliwack River, but also early chinook salmon that are Fraser River bound but decide to spend a bit of time in the Chilliwack River before turning back.

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »

The early timed Chilliwack Chinook are believed to spawn in Dolly Varden Creek.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »

Non-retention of chinook salmon in the Chilliwack River from January 1st to June 30th used to be announced in fishery notices, but it is now a permanent reg. in the freshwater salmon supplement... in the hard copy anyway, but the online version was not updated. The staff has just informed me that it will be corrected very soon.