Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River-Jan. 06, 2008  (Read 5462 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Vedder River-Jan. 06, 2008
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »

One of these day I'm hoping to post a fishing report that actually involves me catching a fish, regretfully today will not be that day  :P

Got to the river a little late around 10am this morning, pretty much right away a fellow next to me is into a smaller fish which we all thought to be a runt steelhead, but once landed we realize its a 4lb wild coho in pretty decent shape.  Some time goes by and the same fellow connects with a nice steelhead around 12lbs which does some nice aerials before it spits the hook.

There were two times my float when down today, most likely pulled under by a fish but I was too busy looking for treasures around my feet and missed them both times. I did find a bunch of neat things today like, a pair of snips, pliers, a fine assortment of hooks, sinkers, corkies and floats, as well as a couple steelhead flys.

It was a little busy today, "I believe there was a derby going on" but the river was in the best shape I have seen it all season with at least 3 feet of visability in the lower end. Things look pretty good for the start of next week if you can find the time to get out there!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Vedder River-Jan. 06, 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »

I got skunked as well but as we were walking down to the spot a guy hooked one a nice wild buck ::) today was an odd day as every 5 mins there was a float floating by. There was alot of gear floating by and I was shocked. It was weird because it was hard to tell which float was are's ;D nice day to be out on the flow and took a stop up at the upper and found it gin clear and a little low. weird!
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »

Was out today as well  with searun and his son guppy. A full report will be out soon. Wait till you see the grin in the photo  ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »

Nice report lucky and some nice finds as well but glad you are not picking up my recyclables. ;D ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »

hey Chris I would never take coffee money from a retired guy, I left all the cans down there, but I figure you must have enough floats by now so they are fair game!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:15:17 PM »

hey Chris I would never take coffee money from a retired guy, I left all the cans down there, but I figure you must have enough floats by now so they are fair game!
Thanks, yes I have lots of floats, I think nearly one of every type ever made, maybe 2,000    and counting. ;D ;D

blueback

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

Got to the river this am at first light with a couple of buddies . One other guy was fishing the run we wanted to start with so we gave him his space and let him have first crack at it. It didn't take long before he got  a nice 10-12lber. After he left we pounded that run and headed to the next one where I landed a nice wild hen 9-10lbs and one of my buddies got a liittle wild buck of about 2-3lbs. Saw four fish in total. Nice day to be out and even a few fish around. 1 fish for two trips for me.       

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »

Tomas and I had big plans to be up at 7am, and be out on the river by 8:30, as we have to make the long drive from the big smoke... Well it was 9:45am when the alarm went off again... Whoops!

We drag our sorry butts out there and arrive at 11:30, to a very busy river... We stop at one spot, with all intention of fishing, put the waders on, and then got that 'feeling' and promptly got back in the truck.

We moved upriver, and found better numbers of vehicles, and decide to take a stroll down to the river to see if we can shoe horn our way in... Well there were lots of spots, and a few people were leaving empty handed. I started out above Tomas, who was still looking for his first of the year... We plodded all the pockets, and no one seemed to be home.

Tomas decided to hit a slot the next run up, and I switched the gear rod for the spey... The water in spots looked perfect for the fly, getting progressively better the further downstream it went. And with the number of fish I was hearing about hooked on the spey had me itching big time to feel the pull of fresh steel.

I worked the run all the way down to mid station, where another angler was going over the water for a third time, and I gave him some time to work the pink worm...

After a while I made my move, before any other gear fishers could close the gap. As soon as I hit the softer water, a fish slammed the fly, just 10 feet offshore!

After a bit of action, she came right in, and I could see her adipose was missing so on the beach she went. Unfortunately not much of a fight, but some nice rolls right on the beach which caused some nail biting. I dispatched it and went to find Tomas who was stunned when he saw my catch, he missed the whole thing... Nice meeting you mastercaster!

Here is the fish:

Then we decided to move to another spot, and after much bush whacking and wading we arrived to find no one in the spot I wanted to hit... Then I saw three guys coming down, so I motioned to Tomas to step into the best part of the run, and he started casting away... I started fiddling with my licence, to make sure it was watertight in it's case...

I hear a splash, and Tomas has one on!! The fish is going crazy, cartwheeling all over the place, but Tomas handles her like a pro... After 4 leaps and runs, she finally gets tired and we quickly ease her closer... Another hatchery!! In one quick motion, we have her on the beach, and quickly dispatched. It was an awesome fight!

After that huge one last year, Tomas did not get another fish last season, he was more enamoured with Whistler than the Vedder ;) So this is his first Hatchery steelhead, and he is most proud, just like he should be!!

Anyhow, it was a great day, and the call to my dad with "we both got our limit" was responded with "Of What?" He seriously didn't believe us...

:)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:17:02 AM »

Nice to hear that one doesn't have to be on the river at first light to catch them.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:36:36 AM »

What a day you had Nicole and nice fish indeed. Congrats.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:53:11 AM »

Very nice Nicole and Tomas , whats wrong with Lars, he only lives 5 minutes from the river. ;D ;D ;D

mmmroe

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:25:21 AM »

Nicole nice fish.....since you dont need the gear rod......you can donate the beauty skeins to a gut slinger like me haha  ;D  ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:22 AM »

Nicole nice fish.....since you dont need the gear rod......you can donate the beauty skeins to a gut slinger like me haha  ;D  ;D

I thought your a green wool guy only?? ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »

Very nice Nicole and Tomas , whats wrong with Lars, he only lives 5 minutes from the river. ;D ;D ;D

Well when i went to his place to do a roe donation, I gave him a hard time about it, and he assures me now that he has fresh roe and the guests are leaving today, that he'll be out there this week... He got out on Boxing Day, and that was it. Shame!

He'd better be, I'll be checking to see that the roe is gone next time i'm out!

;D
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »

Nice pictures and congrat to you both